Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang

I have been at CocBeach for two months and look what happes.

Sally - you will be back. Chicken math will get the better of you.

I strongly advise pre-payment, I will hatch to order for chicks. Eggs go in bator after payment. Its the impulse orderers that are problematic. Those who really want your birds will wait a month.

Either way, you are an inspiration. Your generosity has worn you down. Downsize for your horrible winter, get your meaties in spring then enjoy your summer.

I have 1.5 tons of feed a month you can help me mix anytime you want a trip to the tropics.

Oh Sally, I didn't realize that you werent taking pre-payment. I always pre-pay for chicks I order and I always take pre-payment for chicks I hatch. It makes things so much less stressful and if I end up with extra chicks, at lest I've been paid for them.

Anyway, I came back to say that of those eggs that I had weighed, I was pretty spot on about which ones would hatch. The turkey died a few days before hatching, drowned. But, three of the four shipped bresse actually did hatch. The only one of the three that didn't need assistance was the one that was at just around 12% weight losss but of the other three which were between 15% and 16% loss, one pipped internally on its own, and I opened a breathing hole for it, but it was pretty shrink wrapped so I had to help it to the point that it could pop its head out and get out of the shell on its own. The other one, I could see trying to pip internally but it just couldnt, so I opened it up and pipped for it, then we played "oh there are no active blood vessels here, if I loosen this part of the membrane can you do it the rest of the way? No? okay well lets wait another 6 hours.... there are no active vessels here, if I loosen this part of the membrane can you do the rest yourself?"..... until I all of the vessels had receded and I had pretty much helped the chick out but I still made it get out of the shell on its own.

Had to bolster all three with poached yolks from my free range hens but they're all doing well and now I have new blood for my bresse flock. Yay! And its all thanks tto the tutelage of my favorite Sally Sunshine.
hugs.gif

just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone, i know its been a while. i am officially out of the chicken business at the time, i do plan on restarting something much smaller in the spring. i miss my chickens, but everything else is going well. since i have talked to you all, i started working with copper, mainly making moonshine stills for others. it has proven to be a good business, but i do miss my animals.

sorry I havent been a help :(

Destiny turns 1 today.
what a beautiful blessing Doug! one year already!

Dang

I have been at CocBeach for two months and look what happes.

Sally - you will be back. Chicken math will get the better of you.

I strongly advise pre-payment, I will hatch to order for chicks. Eggs go in bator after payment. Its the impulse orderers that are problematic. Those who really want your birds will wait a month.

Either way, you are an inspiration. Your generosity has worn you down. Downsize for your horrible winter, get your meaties in spring then enjoy your summer.

I have 1.5 tons of feed a month you can help me mix anytime you want a trip to the tropics.
not so sure on the chicken math this time oz, unfortunately for the past few weeks I have a hard enough time holding a coffee mug yet alone mixing hundreds of pounds feed but need some D I am told
duc.gif

Oh Sally, I didn't realize that you werent taking pre-payment. I always pre-pay for chicks I order and I always take pre-payment for chicks I hatch. It makes things so much less stressful and if I end up with extra chicks, at lest I've been paid for them.

Anyway, I came back to say that of those eggs that I had weighed, I was pretty spot on about which ones would hatch. The turkey died a few days before hatching, drowned. But, three of the four shipped bresse actually did hatch. The only one of the three that didn't need assistance was the one that was at just around 12% weight losss but of the other three which were between 15% and 16% loss, one pipped internally on its own, and I opened a breathing hole for it, but it was pretty shrink wrapped so I had to help it to the point that it could pop its head out and get out of the shell on its own. The other one, I could see trying to pip internally but it just couldnt, so I opened it up and pipped for it, then we played "oh there are no active blood vessels here, if I loosen this part of the membrane can you do it the rest of the way? No? okay well lets wait another 6 hours.... there are no active vessels here, if I loosen this part of the membrane can you do the rest yourself?"..... until I all of the vessels had receded and I had pretty much helped the chick out but I still made it get out of the shell on its own.

Had to bolster all three with poached yolks from my free range hens but they're all doing well and now I have new blood for my bresse flock. Yay! And its all thanks tto the tutelage of my favorite Sally Sunshine.
hugs.gif
lol do i have to google tutelage? how about I guess.... largebutted? true! ha ha ha
just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone, i know its been a while. i am officially out of the chicken business at the time, i do plan on restarting something much smaller in the spring. i miss my chickens, but everything else is going well. since i have talked to you all, i started working with copper, mainly making moonshine stills for others. it has proven to be a good business, but i do miss my animals.
Hi Brian, I pray you and the family are well. How interesting! Copper stills are beautiful and a piece of art Brian! Good for you!

A few of the flock that's left besides two of our old school girls, ducky the light brahma, and pepper the Barred rock, its really nice to see them free range in the yard, it is all fenced in the back acre but its still neat to know they have freedom and fun. I love to see them run to Eric when he walks to them, a fast waddle and the HRIR run so fast and then fly the rest of the way, I cant wait to head out again and spoil them with oats and raisins!

Violet, Lucy, Lucy, and Lucy

a few randoms, hubs says he will get some more for me tomorrow.
He will take some of his pheasants, peas and Harmonys littles.
We dont have but five brahma anymore so not much worth taking pics of.

Last edited:
A few of the flock that's left besides two of our old school girls, ducky the light brahma, and pepper the Barred rock, its really nice to see them free range in the yard, it is all fenced in the back acre but its still neat to know they have freedom and fun. I love to see them run to Eric when he walks to them, a fast waddle and the HRIR run so fast and then fly the rest of the way, I cant wait to head out again and spoil them with oats and raisins!

Violet, Lucy, Lucy, and Lucy

a few randoms, hubs says he will get some more for me tomorrow.
He will take some of his pheasants, peas and Harmonys littles.
We dont have but five brahma anymore so not much worth taking pics of.

Today I popped in to see what's been going on, and was a little sad that the constant chatter wasn't here. Then I checked, and saw that this thread has almost 372,000 views....and counting! SWEEET!
thumbsup.gif
This thread is a stalwart of BYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom