Did i get 5 roosters out of 6 chicks!?!? Help

kitty13

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 6, 2014

I am new to chickens and I bought 6 chicks at the farm supply. Hoping for mostly hens, obviously. Did I end up with 5 Roos and only 1 hen?

Last edited:
Arghhhhh! That is terrible news! The odds!?! The girly seems quite sweet, perhaps I can slowly integrate another batch of girls with her.

How old are they? the five bigger combed ones do look like cockerels but if they are older than 4 months one or two of the smaller combed ones still have a chance of being a pullet, as mediterranean breeds do get big combs.

Any younger than that and they're all roo, though, way too red for anything under 4 months or so to be a pullet.

Last edited:
Next time I think you should get sex links.
x2 on the sex links. They can be sexed by color at hatching, and if you like black chickens, you can purchase Black Sex Links (mostly black with some reddish feathers on the neck area). The newly hatched males are black with a white spot on top of their heads and the females are solid black, and they are friendly, calm birds that are egg laying machines.

x2 on the sex links. They can be sexed by color at hatching, and if you like black chickens, you can purchase Black Sex Links (mostly black with some reddish feathers on the neck area). The newly hatched males are black with a white spot on top of their heads and the females are solid black, and they are friendly, calm birds that are egg laying machines.
Yeah this is my Black sex link.

Back
Top Bottom