Did you hatch/purchase ducklings in April of 2022?

Americana ( spelling purposeful), jersey giants, and hopefully some polish. I know they don’t lay many eggs, but they are so cool!
And I’m also going to hatch some barnyard mix chickens.
My polish gave me some very nice eggs, and they have the cutest personalities.

Hey y'all 👋
I hatched welsh harlequin ducklings in April of 2022 and they're officially ten months old and I'm not getting eggs. I haven't gotten a single one.
So I was just wondering if this is something others are dealing with, or just me?🤔
Did I hatch them at the worst time of year?!😂

Also, let me know if your ducks are laying, I'm always curious to see how well they'll lay through winter.
I hatched my own ducklings end of June
All of my young ones started to lay start of January minus one who started right before winter hit and laid through winter
Right now I have 11 girl ducks from ages 2 years to 7 months and I’m getting 11 eggs a day
But buyers I sold ducklings to are not getting eggs yet from the same batch and parents
I had older girls already laying so I always had oyster shells available
This may also be the reason mine are laying
Ducks are monkey see monkey do
( follow the leader ) because o had 3 girls still laying through winter it may have contributed to them starting
In the other hand my mom duck ( pekin ) was born in April and started to lay at 4.5 months as were her first batch of offspring born in dec and started in April

I hatched and kept only one female from my April hatch. She is 1/2 Swedish, 1/4 Khaki, 1/4 Appleyard. She started laying in late November but then stopped when we hit the polar vortex right before Christmas. I went without eggs from any of my four girls for about a month. Then, one started laying a couple of weeks ago and a second joined her last week. I am pretty sure that the two currently laying are from my older girls since the eggs are large. I do not think my young one has started back yet.
Where are you located? Day length and temperature play a role. I suspect you will have eggs soon!

I hatched and kept only one female from my April hatch. She is 1/2 Swedish, 1/4 Khaki, 1/4 Appleyard. She started laying in late November but then stopped when we hit the polar vortex right before Christmas. I went without eggs from any of my four girls for about a month. Then, one started laying a couple of weeks ago and a second joined her last week. I am pretty sure that the two currently laying are from my older girls since the eggs are large. I do not think my young one has started back yet.
Where are you located? Day length and temperature play a role. I suspect you will have eggs soon!
I got 14 chicks Aug. 9th. I lost one to a leg injury.
all are laying as of today except the 2 Americanas.
Buff's, RIR, Barred Rocks, golden lace.
I got one laying a double yoke. I think is one of the barred rocks.
I hatched my own ducklings end of June
All of my young ones started to lay start of January minus one who started right before winter hit and laid through winter
Right now I have 11 girl ducks from ages 2 years to 7 months and I’m getting 11 eggs a day
But buyers I sold ducklings to are not getting eggs yet from the same batch and parents
I had older girls already laying so I always had oyster shells available
This may also be the reason mine are laying
Ducks are monkey see monkey do
( follow the leader ) because o had 3 girls still laying through winter it may have contributed to them starting
In the other hand my mom duck ( pekin ) was born in April and started to lay at 4.5 months as were her first batch of offspring born in dec and started in April
My 3 (2 females and 1 drake) runners hatched in July. One runner started around 1st of January and the second started about 3 weeks later. I've gotten 2 eggs every morning steadily since the 2nd started laying.

Okay now I have to ask questions, because I'm the odd one out here😂
What brand are you guys feeding, and how much? Supplemental lighting?

I'm in central texas. Our days have been getting a bit longer, and our weather has dipped down to freezing a couple of times, and it's been a bit wet, but besides that we've been having fairly sunny days for a while.

I'm in central texas. Our days have been getting a bit longer, and our weather has dipped down to freezing a couple of times, and it's been a bit wet, but besides that we've been having fairly sunny days for a while.
I am in Tennessee so we should be pretty similar in day length and temperatures. Like I said before, I suspect yours will start any day.

I feed Purina duck in an automatic feeder so they get as much as they want.

Back
Top Bottom