Difficulty of draining water belly / ascites?

Proud Hen Dad

Hatching
Apr 8, 2024
Hi all, I have my second elderly hen that is definitely showing signs of water belly / ascites. Shape and feel of a water balloon on her abdomen, showing lethargy, gasping for air. I've put her in her own little coop and she is doing a bit better with the restricted activity. I know this won't cure the cause but I want to make her more comfortable.

Anyway, my question is this. I have 18g needles and a 60ml syringe on the way, how difficult is it to perform the drainage operation? I have watched Youtube videos and it seems fairly simple: immobilize the hen, find her vent, go three inches down and one or two over and pierce the cleaned / sterilized site with your needle. Slowly withdraw the plunger and or unscrew the syringe to let the liquid drain at its own pace.

I've been to local feed stores and most say don't do it, leave it to the vet. What are everyone's thoughts? Has anyone drained their hens successfully.

Hello!
I'm sorry no one ever answered you!
I don't know how to help.
Hopefully you can get help soon. :hugs

Last edited:
Hi all, I have my second elderly hen that is definitely showing signs of water belly / ascites. Shape and feel of a water balloon on her abdomen, showing lethargy, gasping for air. I've put her in her own little coop and she is doing a bit better with the restricted activity. I know this won't cure the cause but I want to make her more comfortable.

Anyway, my question is this. I have 18g needles and a 60ml syringe on the way, how difficult is it to perform the drainage operation? I have watched Youtube videos and it seems fairly simple: immobilize the hen, find her vent, go three inches down and one or two over and pierce the cleaned / sterilized site with your needle. Slowly withdraw the plunger and or unscrew the syringe to let the liquid drain at its own pace.

I've been to local feed stores and most say don't do it, leave it to the vet. What are everyone's thoughts? Has anyone drained their hens successfully.
I literally just posted a topic about my struggles while trying to drain our young hen!
If you have a second pair of hands it really shouldn't be difficult from what I've read and watched. Do you have a shortish needle? Do you have tubing between the needle and syringe? With a bit of tubing you can avoid moving the needle around too much, and won't have to reinsert the needle several times.

There are lots of good YouTube videos.
Unfortunately I've been encountering what I consider to be a strange issue.
Sorry you have to go through this whole ordeal. But it really hasn't been difficult in my experience aside from the desired result not being achieved.

I got fluid out once, and then with the needle in the same exact place without being removed, whenever I slowly and gently pulled the plunger I got a vacuum type of thing going on. As if I somehow put the needle in muscle tissue or something. Idk. Hoping I get some replies.

Good luck and I'd say watch every YouTube vid you can, read every article or post you can, and then get some gloves and antiseptic and a partner and give it a go if it's your last resort. Our hen doesn't even react really.
We wrap her in a towel for comfort and just in case she decides to flap and whatnot.

Don't stick her on the left side of the vent is what I've heard over and over and over.
Do the right side

Back
Top Bottom