Dislocated leg or tendon injury ?

Phyrosam

Hatching
Feb 20, 2021
Hi folks, this stag was about to be thrown out by his owner but I got him to try to save him and give him a chance to live normally. I attached a video file to this post showing him. He's just using one leg to walk, his fingers are curled and doesnt move

Screenshot_2021-02-20-10-54-39-204_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?

He looks like an Asil/Aseel(?) Was this a breeder that was getting rid of him?

If you can get some photos of the back of the leg that may help. Hard to tell if that's from injury or if it's leg deformity. I do see where the top of the foot looks scuffed - maybe fighting, picking injury, etc.
He may be fairly stoic, but if you move the leg, does he seem to indicate any pain?

@centrarchid may be able to give you some suggestions as well since he's familiar with the breed.

It was from a fight with a hen, i'm from brazil the breed is indio, its a Brazilian breed of fighters. He is 4 months old
I recorded a video

It was from a fight with a hen, i'm from brazil the breed is indio, its a Brazilian breed of fighters. He is 4 months old
I recorded a video

I've never had a stag with this type of injury, so...
@roosterhavoc may also have some suggestions.

Still hard to know if it's broken, the tendon is slipped, etc. or if he can even recover.
IF he were mine and I wanted to try, I would try splinting the leg and taping the foot flat, to see if that makes a difference.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure if that will work or not. Hopefully others can give more input, he's a nice looking stag.

You may find this manual helpful too.

https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I've never had a stag with this type of injury, so...
@roosterhavoc may also have some suggestions.

Still hard to know if it's broken, the tendon is slipped, etc. or if he can even recover.
IF he were mine and I wanted to try, I would try splinting the leg and taping the foot flat, to see if that makes a difference.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure if that will work or not. Hopefully others can give more input, he's a nice looking stag.

You may find this manual helpful too.

https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
Thanks a lot for the information my friend

Damage appears to be in the thigh in middle of bone, rather than joint. There appears to be an odd point of articulation in the middle of the thigh bone. A hen or even a cock should not be able to cause such damage during typical fighting unless stag got leg hung up some how was then impacted. Wound on top of foot looks like foot was either constrained or drug about a lot after initial injury. I have had birds recover in part from broken thigh bones, but you often get misalignment. It barely takes as week for bone to stabilize, way faster than in humans.

Damage appears to be in the thigh in middle of bone, rather than joint. There appears to be an odd point of articulation in the middle of the thigh bone. A hen or even a cock should not be able to cause such damage during typical fighting unless stag got leg hung up some how was then impacted. Wound on top of foot looks like foot was either constrained or drug about a lot after initial injury. I have had birds recover in part from broken thigh bones, but you often get misalignment. It barely takes as week for bone to stabilize, way faster than in humans.
The old owner said to me that the stag was injured 10 days ago, do you think he can still recover ?

Back
Top Bottom