DIY humidity pump?

SheaLoner

Crowing
Feb 27, 2020
Upstate Ny
I'm picking up a NR 360 next week. I've been looking into work arounds for problems I figure I will have with it.
We heat our house with wood so during winter our ambient humidity can be 10% or less. Knowing myself as I do I'm afraid I will miss a topping of the reservoir.

I came across this on reddit.

Its an aquarium air pump with an airstone, placed in a bottle of water. A 2nd hole with tubing is pushed through the lid and sits above the water line. The 2nd tube is then fed into the incubator. With the 360 it would be fed through the A or B slot.
With the pump on, the stone will bubble and force moist air up through the 2nd tube and into the incubator.
If you find a way to heat the bottle, mini aquarium heater? It shouldn't cause any temp swings.

As a low tech alternative I think you can use a container of water above the incubator. Feed a piece of airline tube from the container to the incubator A slot. Place an airline T-valve in the line and set the valve to allow a slow drip. Adjust drip as needed.
10pcs-lot-Blue-Plastic-2-Way-Aquarium-Air-Pump-Control-Valves-Fish-Tank-Oxygen-Pump-Air.jpg_64...jpg
Edit double picture.

Set up and incubating for the Easter hatch along, already missed filling the well once. 😮‍💨 The incubator is in a not well lit area I only pass through twice a day.

So I rigged up the drip version of a humidity pump. Has been going 3 hrs now and maintaining RH at 43%. Will let it go overnight and adjust as needed.
It is set to aprox 1 drip per min.

Attachments

• 20220328_130109.jpg
    20220328_130109.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220328_130150.jpg
    20220328_130150.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 14
Had another idea for a drip system. If there are any nurses around an IV drip would serve the same function as my airline hose.

The aquarium airline tube and airline valve should be readily available at a local walmart for $5ish. Or if you have a local tropical fish store around, they may have extra bits and pieces they may just give you.

Back
Top Bottom