do any of you guys know any good alternatives for heat lamp?

Granny Gwenda

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
I don't have a heating lamp, and I'm not sure that the pet store in my area have any either, my chicks are perfectly fine at room temperature during the day, but at night when it gets colder at night, i get slightly worried about heating. Currently I'm using a sock filled with rice to keep them warm by heating it in the microwave, but it's not all too reliable. Please let me know of any possible alternatives for a heat lamp.

I don't have a heating lamp, and I'm not sure that the pet store in my area have any either, my chicks are perfectly fine at room temperature during the day, but at night when it gets colder at night, i get slightly worried about heating. Currently I'm using a sock filled with rice to keep them warm by heating it in the microwave, but it's not all too reliable. Please let me know of any possible alternatives for a heat lamp.
Pet store should have them with reptile supplies. Unless it's just a dog/cat store.

Because I'm cheap, and didn't want to run a 250watt heat lamp during our 'peak hours' from our electric company, this year I decided to try a heat plate. Again, because I'm cheap, I didn't go with one of the big-name, $100 jobs. I decide to try out one at my local Tractor Supply.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-and-coop-heater?cm_vc=-10005

I really like the way it has worked out thus far. Our chicks are 2wks old, and have been perfectly content with this plate. The 8 of them easily fit underneath it, and with it set up lower in the back/higher in the front, they can easily adjust to whether they need/want more or less warmth. Also, it's nice that they have dark for the nighttime.

Heating pad made into broader mom. Found how yo make on byc

I use a normal light socket with a 60 watt incandescent.

It's like maybe $10CAD for the socket, and wire with a plug... If you have a broken thing that gets plugged in you could just cut the wire off it instead and then it's maybe $2 for the socket.

Super easy to wire up.

Back
Top Bottom