Do automatic coop doors freeze?

mrswalker

Chirping
May 7, 2020
I'm going to pick up an automatic door, I haven't selected one yet. But I live in New England and I'm wondering if ice buildup on the door tracks is an issue for anyone. Thoughts on whether spraying it with something like wd-40 would help prevent that?

I currently have an Ador Store Automatic Chicken Coop door. I’ve used it for nearly 3 years now. The only few issues I’ve had with my automatic door in the winter is if there is frozen mud or chicken poop in the bottom of the door frame which prevented the door from closing all the way. I fix this issue by taking a flat head screw driver and pry out the frozen mud out of the door frame so the door can close properly.

I have an Omlet auto door. It did freeze up 1 time so far and it was a rainy day followed by a freeze snap at night. I simply yanked it open and then it was fine.

I have a ChickenGuard and it did freeze on the rails once, when we had a combo of strong sideways winds plus freezing rain/snow, but I have an awning over the pop entrance so generally the tracks stay dry and thus don't have issues.

I too was worried. Mine is a ladies first. Mine is installed on the inside and under a covered run. So it should not really be subjected to rain or snow. However it did get -13°F for a few days. I looked up and the solar panel was covered in aboit 2 inches of snow. It has batteries and they were fine. The ladies first is a metal door with a screw drive. It really is a premium door. No problems with it so far. And i highly recommend it.

I have used an Omlet one through some pretty bad/cold weather and it has never frozen shut. I was expecting it to fail on me during the last cold snap, but was pleasantly surprised that it worked just fine. Mine has always been under some sort of cover/tarp/roof though, so it doesn't get hit direct my much precipitation.

I have the Ador Stor door as well. I'm in Texas and we have had two Artic blasts with the temps in the single digits. The water inside the coop froze but the door worked perfectly. I cant say enough good things about this door really. I do have mine under cover and use the awning provided.

Back
Top Bottom