Do broody hens growl & puff up even when they aren't on the nest?

Kelly FG

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Ridge
My buff orp Sunny is a late bloomer, she didn't start laying till 10 months & her comb was tiny till a few weeks ago. She had crook neck as a chick.
Anyhow I think she will be my first broody-NOT a good thing since I don't have any Roos.
She spends most of the day in her nest & lets out a scream like some prehistoric bird & puffs up to 3 times her normal size anytime any goes near the coop. When I'm home I kick her out of the nest after I know she has layed & then she goes about her day. Except when she gets annoyed by one of the other hens, then she puffs up & starts the growling.
Tonight at roost time she stood puffed up on the roost growling at anyone that looked at her.
Does this sound like broody behavior to you?
What do I do next?

Well, my Buff Orp, also named Sunny, has been my only broody experience. She would run into the yard and pick fights with other hens, especially my SLW Lorelei. In fact, it was a couple of months before they quit being testy with each other, LOL! She was a total mess and would blow up like a feathered gold beach ball when anyone even looked at her, on the nest or off. It was a nightmare! I wondered if I'd ever see my SWEET Sunny again, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom