Do dark eggs keep better??

wood&feathers

Songster
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
E. KY
Something weird has been nagging at me as my hens fire up their spring production and bounty fills the fridge. We have a small mixed flock, a couple production reds, an Australorp and a presumably hatchery Cuckoo Marans that was sold to me as a BR. I rotate the eggs so we eat the oldest first. In the first week I see no difference in taste or appearance in the eggs according to their color. But in the second week, the Marans' (named Digger) eggs seem to remain perkier, with a tall sturdy yolk and firm white. The Australorp's eggs deteriorate first. I suppose it might make sense, she is lowest ranked. But her eggs aren't much worse than the RIRs.

If I look at Digger's eggs, they look smooth and very shiny. The Australorp's eggs are the least shiny. Is this what remains of the bloom? So if the bloom is when the color is laid over the shell, does a darker egg get more of the coating? My lone Marans doesn't lay a very dark egg, but her eggs are definitely smoother and shinier.

Anyone else have supporting or contrary experiences?

BTW I am not at all disappointed with my girls product, they all taste great even at week 2. Just trying to understand if there is anything to learn from the visible differences.

wood&feathers :

Something weird has been nagging at me as my hens fire up their spring production and bounty fills the fridge. We have a small mixed flock, a couple production reds, an Australorp and a presumably hatchery Cuckoo Marans that was sold to me as a BR. I rotate the eggs so we eat the oldest first. In the first week I see no difference in taste or appearance in the eggs according to their color. But in the second week, the Marans' (named Digger) eggs seem to remain perkier, with a tall sturdy yolk and firm white. The Australorp's eggs deteriorate first. I suppose it might make sense, she is lowest ranked. But her eggs aren't much worse than the RIRs.

If I look at Digger's eggs, they look smooth and very shiny. The Australorp's eggs are the least shiny. Is this what remains of the bloom? So if the bloom is when the color is laid over the shell, does a darker egg get more of the coating? My lone Marans doesn't lay a very dark egg, but her eggs are definitely smoother and shinier.

Anyone else have supporting or contrary experiences?

You didn't say anything about your hen's ages. That does have an influence on their eggs.
BTW, my black copper Marans lays REALLY DARK eggs, and they aren't smooth and shiny. I wonder if everyone else's BCM's eggs are smooth and shiny?
idunno.gif

Jen​

Mine are smooth and shiny.
big_smile.png
It's a genetic trait, and also a preferred one.

As for how long they last, the darkness of it may help, but other facts may be in play too. If it is so, though - I'd expect Olive Eggers to last even longer. They're tough buggers to penetrate even with a flashlight, especially F2 eggs back to a Marans.

I've got one chicken that lays an egg with very little bloom on it, compared to the other chickens. They're dull in appearance, compared to the other eggs. They don't store as well, long term. The moisture evaporates out of them much more quickly.

Sometimes I store a few more eggs, like right before I know they're going to molt. I normally use the oldest eggs first, but when I'm storing up more eggs, I don't store hers. I use hers up right away.

I think the amount of bloom on an egg makes a big difference. That's why clean unwashed eggs last longer in storage than washed eggs. I suspect your dark, shiny eggs have more bloom on them.

All my hens are near one year old - two are 3 months shy of a year. Not a big diff in age. The Australorp I have lays a very dull, rough-shelled egg. It definitely has less bloom.

I think the color is laid on at the same time as bloom, is it all the same thing? So would dark egg layers get more bloom on their egg as well as color?

Can't wait to see what my baby BC and Wheaten Marans do...in 6-8 months...

Back
Top Bottom