Do ducks need food and water overnight?

This has been my experience: I do supply water in their pens in the summer and on hot days. I find that my ducks drink very little after 7pm, and no water cuts down on the mess they make in their pens. I also take up their food in the evening, since they forage and have duck food out all day. They don't seem to be suffering from hunger, and taking up the food at night has really cut down on the rats and mice problem I was having. My ducks all appear to be very healthy and happy.

We had baby ducks in the house last year and they were spoiled 24/7. Got to the point that you couldn't walk by them with a plate or any food in ur hand without the demanding peeps :D But once they go outside it's different.
We live in the woods so this means, raccoons, fox, weasels, coyote, etc. Our fowl get locked up securely at night. So no food or water after dark. Everyone is healthy and happy. :)

Thank you all so much for all your wisdom and advice, I really appreciate your help. It has been so warm here I was going to try the 4 week old overnight in the coop with a lamp for the first time, but I couldn't do it! They are snuggled in the brooder beside me
1f60a.png

Thank you all so much for all your wisdom and advice, I really appreciate your help. It has been so warm here I was going to try the 4 week old overnight in the coop with a lamp for the first time, but I couldn't do it! They are snuggled in the brooder beside me
1f60a.png
LOL. After having our babies inside at first, we put them out. When night came along, after the first day, there they were at the stairs expecting to come in. They spent far too many nights inside because I couldn't turn them away. They were just too cute!

Last edited:
How old are your ducks? If they are young, then feed and water 24/7 are recommended. If they are adults or at least several months old then leaving them without food and water overnight is fine. Do remember that if they have feed/treats available then they need water.

Yep, young need access 24/7 they are in a state of rapid growth and you could interfere with that, otherwise it's about your set-up most of my birds do have access but some don't due to barn layout it would cause a flood so i skip it.

Back
Top Bottom