Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
One of our ducks has a leg wound (not on the foot). I've emphasized that because everything we have looked up has talked about foot injuries but it's not the same. It's a long gash, one of two wounds we found her with several days ago. We believe a predator attacked her but did not see what happened. We need to know if it is okay to wrap the leg in a bandage? The wound on her belly we know to leave open, keep clean and medicated, so it can heal from the inside out and not abscess. But we have no advice on what is best for the leg. We have kept it cleaned, soaking, disinfecting and medicating daily. We tried to keep her in a crate so she'd be in a clean environment but the stress was too much and she refused to eat anything so we let her back with the other ducks.

WILL ADD PICTURE!

One of our ducks has a leg wound (not on the foot). I've emphasized that because everything we have looked up has talked about foot injuries but it's not the same. It's a long gash, one of two wounds we found her with several days ago. We believe a predator attacked her but did not see what happened. We need to know if it is okay to wrap the leg in a bandage? The wound on her belly we know to leave open, keep clean and medicated, so it can heal from the inside out and not abscess. But we have no advice on what is best for the leg. We have kept it cleaned, soaking, disinfecting and medicating daily. We tried to keep her in a crate so she'd be in a clean environment but the stress was too much and she refused to eat anything so we let her back with the other ducks.

WILL ADD PICTURE!
The pic will help, but I imagine wrapping the leg will be fine. We wrap them for bumblefoot, so I imagine it's ok.

I'd keep her inside. Maybe with a friend, if she's too stressed out. With an open wound, it has a high chance of getting infected or attracting flies.

The pic will help, but I imagine wrapping the leg will be fine. We wrap them for bumblefoot, so I imagine it's ok.

I'd keep her inside. Maybe with a friend, if she's too stressed out. With an open wound, it has a high chance of getting infected or attracting flies.
Okay, thanks. Well she starved herself for three days even with all the flock hanging around her cage (she's the lead female) and a buddy inside, so that didn't work. We did try! :idunno

Back
Top Bottom