Do I have an egg eater?!!

Nov 6, 2023
I have got a broken egg two days in a row. The first one I saw at night, and it had no shell left. I checked the nesting box yesterday at noon and there was another egg cracked, I couldn't tell if this one had been broken by a beak or a hen's weight. Do I have an egg eater? Also, my hens have only been laying around two weeks. I have one nesting box per two birds and twenty hens, but all the hens lay in the same four boxes.

Last edited:
I have got a broken egg two days in a row. The first one I saw at night, and it had no shell left. I checked the nesting box yesterday at noon and there was another egg cracked, I couldn't tell if this one had been broken by a beak or a hen's weight. Do I have an egg eater? Also, my hens have only been laying around two weeks. I have one nesting box per two birds and twenty hens, but all the hens lay in the same four boxes.
To me this seems to be a case of a young pullet that has issues with her shell gland and calcium uptake which can happen at the beginning as their body still is adjusting.

Do they have a source of extra calcium like crushed oyster shells or their own egg shells dried and crushed free choice?

Nest eggs made of wood or plaster or even golf balls will make the other nest boxes more enticing. Put one in each nest and leave them in always.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom