Do I have enough room

Bradyu123

Hatching
May 8, 2024
Hell I purchased this set up on market place. It came with the run and coop. Currently I'm raising 5 chicks but am worried It may be to small. Previous owner had 7 occupying this set up which seems like way to much to me. Dimensions I believe are 3x5.
1000004916.png
1000004985.jpg

It does look quite small… Generally bigger is always better. And generally the recommendation is 4 sq ft inside the coop and 10 sq ft outside (in the run). This is way smaller than that. And those are just guidelines anyway, bigger is always better.

It does look quite small… Generally bigger is always better. And generally the recommendation is 4 sq ft inside the coop and 10 sq ft outside (in the run). This is way smaller than that. And those are just guidelines anyway, bigger is always better.
So I have 2 options. One is expand existing coop. Or sell this and buy another on market place.

So I have 2 options. One is expand existing coop. Or sell this and buy another on market place.
Gonna look at expanding this coop or selling and buying a different one all together. Have 5 weeks till the chicks can be moved outside

Gonna look at expanding this coop or selling and buying a different one all together. Have 5 weeks till the chicks can be moved outside
What's your long-term plan for the chickens? It'll be plenty big for a small flock in their younger days. (think weeks to months) If you are raising them for meat, their days are numbered anyway and it would be fine. If you are into long-term eggs, you'll need more space. If your long-term egg plan involves introducing more hens (as their production drops over the years) .... you'll need lots more space.

Depending on your yard space, you may want to buy/build something bigger and hold onto this as an isolation coop. Hens that are unwell or injured typically need to be separated from the rest of the flock. Plus, if you have anything other than hen raised chicks, you'll need to quarantine the newbies for a while before introducing them into the flock. A quality isolation/quarantine coop is nice to have. Cost and space being key considerations.

Long term eggs was the plan. This is my first go at chickens really wishing I wouldn't of purchased this set up and just built from scratch at this point. Was looking at extending the coop out some more.
What's your long-term plan for the chickens? It'll be plenty big for a small flock in their younger days. (think weeks to months) If you are raising them for meat, their days are numbered anyway and it would be fine. If you are into long-term eggs, you'll need more space. If your long-term egg plan involves introducing more hens (as their production drops over the years) .... you'll need lots more space.

Depending on your yard space, you may want to buy/build something bigger and hold onto this as an isolation coop. Hens that are unwell or injured typically need to be separated from the rest of the flock. Plus, if you have anything other than hen raised chicks, you'll need to quarantine the newbies for a while before introducing them into the flock. A quality isolation/quarantine coop is nice to have. Cost and space being key considerations.

Back
Top Bottom