Do I need to lower the coop for Silkies and Frizzles?

Napa Neophyte

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2017
Hello All,

I am new to all of this and think I may have made a big design error. I'm planning on getting silkies and frizzle chicks in a few weeks. In working with a not so helpful person at the local HD on the cuts for the legs of my coop, I went for a much longer length. Now the opening for the ramp is 28" up from the ground. I really don't want to cut the legs down down if I can avoid it, but I also need to make sure my girls can get in and out of the coop without a major workout.

I know I'll need at least one "landing" to ease the incline. Do you believe that is enough? I was also thinking of using artificial grass on the ramps so that they can get a good grip.

I was also advised to keep the food and water outside in the run, as opposed to inside the coop, by the person that I'm getting the chicks from. I was planing on having access in both the run and the coop so that on mornings when I wanted to sleep in, they wouldn't go hungry or thirsty.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

WIth thanks,

Karen the Napa Neophyte

Attachments

• IMG_7015.JPG
    IMG_7015.JPG
    631.8 KB · Views: 24
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

28 inches shouldn't be an issue if you have a ramp. the ramp to my roost is at least 48 inches in height, but spread wide enough it isn't too steep. Seems like that fake grass might be slippery when wet? No personal experience. I would probably try grip tape. It will have poo caked on before long not matter what. Maybe put some extra grip slats, like every 3-4 inches apart.

I personally keep my feed and water in the run, putting the feed up at night to avoid rodents (which I still have a few who come for the shrapnel anyways). I don't want them hanging out in the coop to eat and pooping extra in there, or the rodents. But that is me, and you will have to choose what will work for you. Some days I get out a little late, and it's not a big deal other than them raising cane. But they won't starve to death in a half hour or even 2 hours.

Silkies and frizzles are so cute! :love

Sometimes they are a little special needs, especially if their poof is too big. You might find you have to adjust as you go with how you keep them fed and such. I definitely recommend a nipple waterer or one of those side mount ones. When I use an open bowl, some end up with really wet crests.

Sometimes the season changes and I get a new challenge to adjust to. What looks good on paper doesn't always work out. And what works for the neighbor might not work for me. We are different people with different set ups, birds, perspectives, skills, resources. So learn all you can and do your best. If something ain't working switch up until it does. ;)

Hope your babies are beautiful and healthy! :fl

Hello EggSighted, Thank you so much for the help. I really didn't want to have to cut the legs down. I have made a waterer and feeder out of pvc pipe. I've used the nipple waterer with a little cup below it and the feeder from a wye joint. I will have to see how high to raise them. I'm using 1/2" hardware cloth and sinking 6"+ into the ground around the coop and run and putting pavers ontop of that. Are you saying rodents can get in through that? Ugh.... I sure hope not. And thanks for the advice on switching it up. Lord knows the coop has been redesigned 100 times! LOL. All the best,

KJ

28'' should be no problem as long as they have a ramp. The ramp shouldn't be too steep, and needs little rungs for them to grasp onto. As for the feeder and waterer, keeping them in the run is the best option. For the first few nights, you could put the food and water into the coop. Then move to just water. And after about a week, you can permanently keep both the food and water in the run. They won't have a problem.

You can play with it and see if the rats can get in. But they are very crafty and use gopher holes and such as well as able to chew through wood and climb to roofs.

Baby pics always welcome! ;)[/Q
28'' should be no problem as long as they have a ramp. The ramp shouldn't be too steep, and needs little rungs for them to grasp onto. As for the feeder and waterer, keeping them in the run is the best option. For the first few nights, you could put the food and water into the coop. Then move to just water. And after about a week, you can permanently keep both the food and water in the run. They won't have a problem.
Dear Chatty,

Thanks for the tips! Hoping to get the chicks on Monday!!! So excited!

You are very welcome! It's so exciting! I remember the anxious agony I experienced waiting for my chicks to arrive! Have fun! Enjoy them! Let me know how it goes and if you have any more questions!

My coop windows and entire run is 1/2" hardware cloth. I know we have field mice in our fields and barn, but I have not seen the evidence in my chicken area.

Back
Top Bottom