Do I need to separate a hen and chicks from the flock?

Mrs. K

One more question if you don't mind. Do you feed all your hens starter feed in the coop when you have little ones in with them. I have read layer feed has to much calcium and will damage their kidneys.

Thank you!

Not a problem, I just love doing chicks this way. I am not sure if it is because I have done chicks with a broody mother for many years, and all of my hens have been raised like this, but I just watched these chicks running out and about, under layers getting a drink, right next to a feeding layer, that one got a small peck, but no big one, just a mind your manners. They are just starting to get their wing feathers.

I believe they are stronger as they are moving all over a much larger space, rougher terrain than if I had them in a brooder box with a heat lamp.

I am glad it is working out for you too.

Mrs K

Thought you might like to see momma and chicks outside!:)

I am in a similar position, I was thinking that I would not seperate the hen and hopefully chicks, my worry is the design of the coop, it’s one of those where the house part is up high on stilts with a ramp up ? Is this going to work

I always let the broody hatch her eggs where she's decided to have her nest. After the chicks start hatching I wait as long as possible..8 hours anyway...and then move the hen, chicks, and unhatched eggs into a small pen where the broody can have some privacy and peace and finish hatching her eggs. When the chicks are older I move the family into a bigger pen, and they also have opportunity most days to go outside in the tractor. I think this gives the hen some stress free days as she doesn't have to worry about protecting her chicks from the flock and predators, and they can still interact with the flock and be introduced gradually the same way I would do if I were adding new adult members to the flock. At five or six weeks, I let the mother and babies out to mingle with the flock and see the rest of the world. While they are in the pen all of them eat chick starter...and at age four or five weeks I sometimes let the babies have a little corn along with the chick starter. During the first couple of weeks both mother and babies have vitamins in their water.

Once the eggs hatch and the chicks are about a week old you can let the momma hen do the introductions. Typically a momma hen who has hatched a clutch of chicks will being her chicks back to the flock after they are a week old.

She will see to it that no one hurts her babies and keeps a good distance from her and her chicks. Even the roosters will stay a distance from her and her babies. I currently have a momma hen who has 7 little ones that has introduced her babies to the flock, all is going well. If the chicks are roosting with the momma hen in the coop with the rest of the flock just make sure that they chicks can get up the ladder into the coop.

If they are with the flock during the day make sure that the feeder that the chicks eat out of has chick feed in it. If you have adult girls in the flock just make sure that their food is high enough that they chicks cannot get to it. They can drink out of the same waterer as the rest of the flock, just make sure that it is low enough.

For the most part the momma hen does the work. All you have to do is just make sure to provide the necesarying things such as chick feed and water. The momma hen will take care of the rest. You will not need to worry about introductions because she will do that for you.

Here is a pic of my broody silkie and her babies out with the flock. She sees to it that no one gets too close.

Donna and babies.png

Since this thread has been revived, I'll jump in here, rather than start my own thread. Scroll down for questions if background is too long, haha!

I have a Spitzhauben/Cochin hen who went broody in our 8x10 coop in a covered cat box (I have two of those and two cat carriers). I added 6 to the 3 eggs she had under her, and she sat like she means it (it's her first time, and my first broody). She came out three days in a row (everyone free ranges on our farm during the day) and our sweet but young and I guess dumb rooster chased her around like he was going to kill her.

I didn't see her off for a couple of days after that, and no broody poop, so I moved her to an empty horse stall.

I have literally had to pull her off of the nest to get her to eat a tiny bit and to drink, so I am glad I separated her. Tomorrow is day 10.

I REALLY wanted to leave her in the coop, but, you know, dumb rooster.

People who have barn cats who kill everything and who sometimes stalk lone adult chickens - can I really reintroduce her early on and expect that my barn cats (or my dogs inside the backyard) won't snack on the chicks?

I do have the space to keep them separate and let them grow up a bit, and reintroduce everyone at the same time - they just won't get much outside free ranging to start.

Thoughts? (Also I have three young kids who have lost a grandparent, a pony, and a cat, all within a short period of time, so I'm less likely to be cavalier about the chicks getting snacked on).

Back
Top Bottom