Scotty from BI

Songster
Aug 26, 2015
I have had chickens for about 9 years now and it is an ongoing and continuos learning experience for me. There is no shortage of advice by "experts". But in reality, most of what I have learned about chickens, my chickens have taught me.

My flock consists of 8 large breed mixed chickens about 14 months old now. They are confined to a large enclosed run and very spacious coop. I feed them organic layer pellets with corn but no soy. I also supplement their diet with lots of mixed greens and other veggies including carrots, broccoli, cauliflower etc. which I cut into small digestible pieces with a blender to avoid an impacted crop. I buy dehydrated grubs, (black soldier fly larve) in bulk and have been mixing them with the greens I throw out every day. But I think, I may be over doing it. I have found that some of my chickens have very watery poop. So I did a Google search and found that one of the causes of watery poops is excessive protein. So I cut back on the grubs and now their poops are more normal.

So this made me wonder. Am I feeding them for nutrition or entertainment. I admit that it gives me great pleasure to see them scramble in delight when I throw out their tasty snacks. They love it, I love it. But I keep reading from the "pros" that it is better to not supplement the scientifically formulated organic feed that I give them because it is perfectly balanced for optimum health.

Problem is so many people free range which is just another form of supplementing their feed and most say that free range chickens are the healthiest and happiest of chickens. So I agree that they are happy, but are they really healthy. I know that chickens have evolved from wild game birds and in nature all that they need is provided, but have we actually improved on this evolutionary process by combining all the nutrients that they need into layer feed?

I anticipate the argument that chickens are omnivores and need bugs and greens and not just grains. This assumes that the feed is the best feed available and is organic, balanced, and nutritious, not the discounted soy and corn GMO off brand feed available. When these "premium feeds" are formulated, do they not include what ever protein, vitamins, carbs and other components of a healthy diet they would get if they were free ranging?

In my opinion treats are for behavioral enrichment. Both for the birds and the humans. They should be limited, especially if you notice a problem. Their main diet should always be a good ration if possible, but chickens often are fairly forgiving. Everything in moderation is a good way to go.

My original intent was to try to simulate free range in their diet by offering the things that they might eat if they were foraging in addition to their feed even though they are confined. As you said, chickens are forgiving and up until now, they seem to have been doing pretty well, other than the watery droppings which have subsided since modifying my offerings. So now I am going to try not supplementing and watching to see how they do and if it effects their productivity. I think this will be harder on me than on them. When they hear me come to the run to do my maintenance up until now they run over excitedly to see what fun snacks I will be offering. Now they will just look at me with disappointment. (sad face).

2x oldhenlikesdogs

My 4BO are confined, get 1/8 cup BOSS & 1/8 cup MW when I close up their CH
(wrapped in shower curtain). They used to get "healthy" treats at lunch but I stopped it all and they still run to greet me. When I do the daily maintenance cleaning, they're huddled and help with the scratching looking for rock. Think they think I'm grubbing when picking up rock & poop, ha ha

They're fine without the "healthy" treats, did find out that lettuce & fruits makes for watery poop.

Treats for me are mechanism for handling, and a reward for good behavior. The birds come running if they think they are gonna get goodies beyond their normal fare. This makes catching an injured or ailing bird a snap. It was proven as a very VERY good mechanism for catching birds in an emergency, like evacuating from a wildfire.

Wild fires and other natural disasters aside, I have found that it is best to take them off their perch at night or in the morning if I need to treat them. But I get what you are saying. I think if you have established a rapport with your birds and they are not afraid of you, you can foster this relationship by continuing to handle them occasionally without treats.

I don’t add that many treats to diet. I treat maybe couple times a week. You don’t have to. Their feed is a complete feed and provides everything they need. If they forage in a fenced in run or free range either is enough for the chickens to satisfy omnivores.

I think it is whatever you want to feed them.. mine freerange all day .. they get cracked corn and 20% all flock layer and finisher stuff .I also sprinkle oystershell on the food like once a week.... they get dried mealworms.. and kitchen odds and ends.. They are healthy and lay every day.. with a thick walled brown egg that has yolk that is almost orange. They love leftovers and carry on like idiots when they get leftovers of any kind. They are all in their pens at night except 3 banty roosters that roost high in a pine at night. Yours may vary.Its good to have treats for when they need to come to you for any reason.

Wild fires and other natural disasters aside, I have found that it is best to take them off their perch at night or in the morning if I need to treat them. But I get what you are saying. I think if you have established a rapport with your birds and they are not afraid of you, you can foster this relationship by continuing to handle them occasionally without treats.

Naturally. Treats are treats for a reason, they aren't offered as a routine part of the diet. Treats get offered to make sure they remember, and to reinforce the good behavior. I'd rather have them associating my hands and being handled with good things than bad, especially if it was an emergency type situation. I can think of several situations where rattling the treat-can has solved issues that would have involved nets and stress.

Back
Top Bottom