Do peacock lay eggs every other day?

Akbar khakwani

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
My peahen started laying eggs every other day ( she laid one egg , took a gap for one day and laid other the next day ) .so in 6 days I have 3 eggs she keeps laying eggs in different places as I collect her eggs I order to protect them until she is broody. Today she was supposed to lay egg but she didn’t or I was not able to spot it . Can peahens take gap of 2 days between eggs ?

If you found the eggs it is very unlikely that she is interested in going broody. If a hen is serious about setting eggs she usually hides them after she's done laying.

Depending on her age she will lay about every other day, sometimes two days until she gets a clutch to set. Two-year hens only lay one clutch of eggs, six to ten eggs. Three year and older can lay a clutch and take a break until she lays another clutch if the eggs are taken away the process will continue. Many things contribute to egg-laying, feed, and condition of the hen, and of course, the weather may cause her to lay or not lay. I have seen as few as six eggs laid and some years over 40 from mature hens. A hen is not likely to go broody if she does not see a clutch of eggs. Near the end of the laying season, we will let the hens keep all of their eggs. We date every egg and remove any that have sat for ten days as the viability is diminishing after that time.

My peahen is a first time layer. She lays every other day. Are you saying I should leave the eggs in the nest and wait for her the go broody? We have very low temperatures here.. 0 C, is that ok for the eggs?
If you want to incubate them then you need to remove the eggs every day. If you are going to let her brood the eggs then you leave them. If the eggs get chilled overnight, less than 40*F then they are likely not going to be viable.

she won't accept eggs that are put out for her. The hen decides when she goes broody and both in the wild and captivity there are alot of eggs that she lays without sitting on.

So what do you suggest @Midnightman14 ? Do I take the real eggs while she is laying (so they don't freeze) and replace with fake, until the weather is warmer. Then I put the real eggs out in the nest?
I would incubate the eggs you pick up yourself and wait til later in the season before letting her accumulate her own to lay. By then she'll be more likely to sit.

Back
Top Bottom