Do raised scales always mean scaly leg mites?

kcan2

Free Ranging
Oct 18, 2019
MI
I noticed today that my hen's feet are looking a little rough. Which confuses me, because she has not been outside very much all winter. My coop had been parked in the garage, with pine shavings that are changed frequently, and a sand bath. Any ideas why her scales might look this way?
Screenshot_20200425-193618_Gallery.jpg
20200425_193303.jpg

I think with feather footed breeds the scales on the legs can become raised when there are new feathers coming in. However, I'm following this to see what everyone else thinks.

I think with feather footed breeds the scales on the legs can become raised when there are new feathers coming in. However, I'm following this to see what everyone else thinks.
đź‘ŤThat would make sense, I hope that's all that's going on. She hasn't been exposed to bugs/outdoors much for months. Unless she caught it from another chicken... I'm not sure how these things work!

It's not scaly leg mites. New scales grow every year and if the old scales havnt shed, the build up leads to roughness.
Scales on older birds tend to look rougher. It even looks worse on birds that have feathered legs. Everything is fine, no worries.

It's not scaly leg mites. New scales grow every year and if the old scales havnt shed, the build up leads to roughness.
Scales on older birds tend to look rougher. It even looks worse on birds that have feathered legs. Everything is fine, no worries.
Thank you! It's good to know I don't need to undertake the process of mite eradication. :)

Back
Top Bottom