Do they molt then lay their 1st eggs or just opposite?

EggWalrus

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 14, 2017
Southeast Alabama
I read on another chicken site today, that pullets start laying at ~5-6 months, then it said to expect 1st molt at 18-24 weeks. Something doesn't sound right. I thought their 1st molt was around a year after start of laying?
Can someone set me straight, that's what I get for thoughting, instead of thinking.

If you get pullets in the spring, then they will feather out and start laying. Chickens usually molt in the fall. But not all of them do. Pullets usually don't their first year, anyway in my experience.....

If you get pullets in the spring, then they will feather out and start laying. Chickens usually molt in the fall. But not all of them do. Pullets usually don't their first year, anyway in my experience.....
That's what I thought. I believe the other website confused weeks with months. I'll write them and ask if it was a misprint. I don't want to embarrass them so no names, but I'll let you know what they say.

That's what I thought. I believe the other website confused weeks with months. I'll write them and ask if it was a misprint. I don't want to embarrass them so no names, but I'll let you know what they say.
Well, I just know that a pullet is not going to molt before they lay. It may be different if you buy chickens in late summer, which I have never done.

What you say makes sense. Reason I asked about it was because I never noticed it in any chickens I've ever had. I've got a coop full of feathers that looks like a war has took place but I know it's just those old hens molting, but the spring chickens still look nearly brand new.

I got my chickens in spring and after a couple of months it looked like someone had a pillow fight in their run, down feathers everywhere! I read on here that they were going through their baby molt and would probably not molt their first winter. I love this place, I learn something new all the time!

Back
Top Bottom