Do you need a permit to own emus?

It depends where you live. You need to check your local ordinances for your county. You can also go your local county office and have them find the ordinances for you. They are usually considered exotic animals and have special fencing requirements.

Scratch that, not exotics but livestock.

Last edited:
It depends where you live. You need to check your local ordinances for your county. You can also go your local county office and have them find the ordinances for you. They are usually considered exotic animals and have special fencing requirements.

nope.. USDA considers them to be "livestock".. not "exotics".. so rules which pertain to livestock would be followed.. not exotics

now some places will specifically say "ratites" or "emu" in the local laws.. so those would have to be followed even if general "livestock" were allowed

nope.. USDA considers them to be "livestock".. not "exotics".. so rules which pertain to livestock would be followed.. not exotics

now some places will specifically say "ratites" or "emu" in the local laws.. so those would have to be followed even if general "livestock" were allowed
Okay then, I had seen that on Animal Cops Houston but google says that is correct.

In Massachusetts you need a permit from fish and game, I called before I started and they said that the laws are changing so they would not give me a permit -

So I tried and went ahead and hatched Emu's and (now) Rheas anyways - Tried to follow the rules
wink.png

In Massachusetts you need a permit from fish and game, I called before I started and they said that the laws are changing so they would not give me a permit -

So I tried and went ahead and hatched Emu's and (now) Rheas anyways - Tried to follow the rules
wink.png

yup.. like I said.. local law would supercede federal in this case..

Just before I ordered my first hatching eggs I called around.. Fish and Game had no listing for ratites.. they told me to call the local Dept of Agriculture..
Texas Dept of Agriculture had them as livestock.. but wasn't sure about federal standing.. so they sent me to the USDA (federal level).. that's when I found out for sure that the USDA has them listed as livestock (thank you ranchers).. We are out in "legal cow country" with no regulations whatsoever against ratite ownership and the property we bought used to have emu being raised on it before the bottom dropped out of the market.. so I was already pretty certain we would be 100% legal.. I just wanted to double check that laws hadn't changed.

It's always best to check local laws (city / town / county / state and evil HOA if you have one) just to cover your behind.. you may have to remind them that the USDA lists them as "livestock" if the local level has no notations on them..

I know a lot of cities HAVE started outlawing "ratites" and have them listed in the ordinances... so you want to make sure that you're covered as being legal especially if you are within town limits..

Last edited:
This is why I will never ever live on a property subject to a HOA again (I don't now , but did in the past). I don't have the patience for neighbors telling me what I can and can't do on my own property.

Also have zero desire to let the nearby town annex me in, I'm just fine in unincorporated county land thank you very much.

In Florida Ratites are also considered "domestic" livestock. Cassowary is listed as a class 2 exotic though. No mention at all of Kiwi, so I guess you could get away with pointing out that they are "Ratites" and thus unregulated (if you could find them, which you wont) at least by the state.

Moral of the story: if you want to keep a variety of animals.. distance yourself from as many layers of jurisdictions as possible. I.E. live in unincorporated county land.

Yes - my state is removing any laws requiring a permit - Listing them as livestock.
The zoning where my home is located is agricultural - I had to tell them that I was rising them for personal use (they will not allow them for pets).

In Massachusetts you need a permit from fish and game, I called before I started and they said that the laws are changing so they would not give me a permit - So I tried and went ahead and hatched Emu's and (now) Rheas anyways - Tried to follow the rules
wink.png
yup.. like I said.. local law would supercede federal in this case.. Just before I ordered my first hatching eggs I called around.. Fish and Game had no listing for ratites.. they told me to call the local Dept of Agriculture.. Texas Dept of Agriculture had them as livestock.. but wasn't sure about federal standing.. so they sent me to the USDA (federal level).. that's when I found out for sure that the USDA has them listed as livestock (thank you ranchers).. We are out in "legal cow country" with no regulations whatsoever against ratite ownership and the property we bought used to have emu being raised on it before the bottom dropped out of the market.. so I was already pretty certain we would be 100% legal.. I just wanted to double check that laws hadn't changed. It's always best to check local laws (city / town / county / state and evil HOA if you have one) just to cover your behind.. you may have to remind them that the USDA lists them as "livestock" if the local level has no notations on them.. I know a lot of cities HAVE started outlawing "ratites" and have them listed in the ordinances... so you want to make sure that you're covered as being legal especially if you are within town limits..
Ok thanks for all the information! I probably won't get any (if allowed) for another few years and make sure I can acquire everything it needs.

Back
Top Bottom