1234chicken4321

Songster
May 14, 2020
2 of my 3 hens went broody and now co-raise 5 chicks. All my hens are different breeds and so I can see which chick biological belongs to who. All the chicks belong to the 2 parenting hens, who both lay white eggs. However, the other hen's brown eggs were in the nest too, in fact two hatched but died what looks like just after hatching.
So, do you think the mother hens recognised the brown eggs weren't theirs?

(As an interesting side note, originally only one hen was nesting and once the second joined they spilt the eggs evenly (everyday after a certain point I took away any new eggs)).

I think the overall summary is that they don't care :) , although I suppose we will never know if they notice and don't care or just never notice...but as long as there are chicks its all good :D.

2 of my 3 hens went broody and now co-raise 5 chicks. All my hens are different breeds and so I can see which chick biological belongs to who. All the chicks belong to the 2 parenting hens, who both lay white eggs. However, the other hen's brown eggs were in the nest too, in fact two hatched but died what looks like just after hatching.
So, do you think the mother hens recognised the brown eggs weren't theirs?

(As an interesting side note, originally only one hen was nesting and once the second joined they spilt the eggs evenly (everyday after a certain point I took away any new eggs)).
Were there only the 2 brown eggs?
...and you propose that the hens didn't keep them warm enough to develop properly or stay alive after hatch?
Most likely a coincidence.

Were there only the 2 brown eggs?
...and you propose that the hens didn't keep them warm enough to develop properly or stay alive after hatch?
Most likely a coincidence.
No there were 3 brown eggs. I was wondering if they were disinterested in those hatching chicks because they acknowledged the different colour. But it then interested me to wonder if they noticed at all. If they can recognise different people's faces then I don't see why they couldn't recognise their egg colour, but I do now doubt that they care.

Back
Top Bottom