Do your chickens have a "best friend" within the flock?

eggsontoast

Songster
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
North Atlanta suburbs
I have 2 chickens that are inseparable...if they are apart, one of them starts making this funny crowing noise until they are reunited. My husband says they're lesbians! Personally, i think it's adorable. One is a black orpington and the other a white sussex. They also dig holes in my yard and lie in them together.

Fritzie (pullet) and Yul (cockerel) are BFFs.
41679_yulandfritzie.jpg

They were each ill for a while, either due to sudden weather change and drafts while brooding, or through major bullying, so I brought them inside and they were in "infirmary" together for some weeks. they developed a very close relationship there, with Fritzie teaching Yul many important things (like how to get under the younger chicks' heat lamp on the wire cover and "sun bathe"). Outside they are still BFFs, totally hanging together and roosting together. Sometimes in rather odd spots, as they keep trying to roost on the back porch instead of in a coop.

41679_fritzieandyuloutside.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock that are best of friends. They are always together. I don't know what would happen if something happened to one of them.

love.gif
....my 2 buff orps are best friends , as are my 2 delawares--
D.gif
-the other 5 are just good friends----
D.gif
-what is really cute is when it's time to roost , buttercup , one of the bo will go in first ,turn at the coop door and call for buffy to come in with her
love.gif
.., not so with dotty and della the 2 delawares, but when roosting , dottie and della must be next to one another and touching or else all hell breaks loose...
love.gif

yep...quite a few pairs that have bonded- remember- don't think in human terms- they remind me though of twins, somehow they are attached to each other, i don't think there would be any sexual connotation, just friends- here are a few

emmigrace-1.jpg

you can hear these two calling for each other- emmi and grace

rustycocoa.jpg

this is rusty and cocoa, not quite as close as they were, but still buddies

travjew-1.jpg

then there was spice and sugar, we lost sugar, and spice is the smallest, BO and she never connected close with the others, if you get a chance just watch the interactions- we have 17 plus the roo- they do pair off

We have a threesome we call "The Hooligans" because they're always running off together and refusing to coop up at night with the others. They do everything together. It's hilarious, except that one of them is a Silkie who used to be very sweet and affectionate and is now a thug like the other two...

Back
Top Bottom