Do your ducks eat mice?

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
I've heard that ducks are good for keeping the mice out of the coop. I personally had never seen any of my ducks catch or eat a mouse until this week. We sell hay for a living, so when my husband came home with the trailer full he brought a load of mice with him. All this week I've seen mice jumping off of the hay trailer, then my muscovy hen runs after them and eats them. I must say it's great entertainment.

I don't know about mice, but our ducks eat frogs like crazy! One unlucky frog didn't get out of our garden in time while my daughter and duck chased it. Poor daughter was yelling at the duck to give it back!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Our's have never eaten frogs and we have plenty to go around. I always find one then tell the kids I'm going to feed it to the chickens and boy do they come running fast......NOOOOOOOO don't kill the frog!!!!! I'd rather the ducks eat the mice anyway. I like the frogs.

my ducks have never eaten adult mice, but boy did they devour a nest of pinky mice they found last year!

as for frogs, I actually want to find abunch of tadpoles somewhere to grow up into frogs for the ducks,maybe they'll miss a few haha

YES!
Muscovies will eat mice, small snakes, frogs etc.
I even saw a group of them chasing a mole one day
but it was too big for them to eat.
They will amaze you with how much they control flies, slugs and mosquitoes!
Even newborn duckings zip around catching bugs.
They certainly earn their keep as great pest controllers.

Warning: Some Muscovy drakes will even eat newborn ducklings!

Last edited:
Quote:
mine were adorable the first time i brought them outside! they would chase the cute little things. one caught a dragonfly about the size of its head!!!!! i was amazed. they do help with bug control. they eat all the spiders that live in our woodchips. they just love them!
never heard of mice, small snakes or frogs. i've never caught mine eating them....yet.

I saw one of my runners eat a smallish/baby (maybe) mouse last summer. Picked up it and pecked at it a few times, then just swallowed it!
ep.gif

I haven't seen that since then though, and those darn mice are running all over.

So, is it more muscovies than others? Because I'd love to tell my wife that ours'll eat mice, too...

Quote:
oh yes ,they are the best pest control. I havent seen them eat mice yet, but why not? Mine eat raw meat chunks if i throw them out. Scovies are the best pest control there is and the quiestest too!!!!! and the tastiest

Back
Top Bottom