Does anyone else have ducks that can’t walk/severely disabled?

I dont have a disabled duck but I have a chicken with messed up toes on both feet so she has trouble roosting and getting up big ramps. I had to modify her living situation a bit and she is doing well although she is definitely not doing as well as I'd like. I am trying to stay positive about her but I also suspect she has some reproductive issues and so might cull her this summer. If you think he is happy then I see no reason not to keep trying.

My duck lost his walking abilities after a severe raccoon attack. He is, bodily, very healthy and healed completely for almost a month now. However I’m not sure he’ll ever walk again and I had to put my other duck down with a broken septic leg for the same reason. I cant find myself putting him down when he doesnt seem particularly unhappy, is very active, and still loves to swim and eat his favorite treats and play in the mud like every other duck. The vet told me that my last ill duck would have no quality of life with a cut off leg so I chose to put him down. Now that’s bugging my head with my duck, Agate. I just don’t feel like he’s unhappy and I’ve dealt with depressed animals before. Not to mention Agate has not even lived half his life, he’s only 2. I’m just wondering if anyone else out there has disabled poultry Ive seen some duck instagrammers with disabled ducks and geese, it gives me a little peace of mind. I guess what really concerns me is if I’m making the right decision if he could never walk again and if I’m alone in these feelings and situation
Hi there, I would love an update on this. I am coming to the realization that my Nutmeg may be a disabled duck the rest of her life (there are some things that vitamins and calcium cannot fix) and trying to figure out how best to care for her - did you end up making a wheelchair? If so, how is it working out?

Hi there, I would love an update on this. I am coming to the realization that my Nutmeg may be a disabled duck the rest of her life (there are some things that vitamins and calcium cannot fix) and trying to figure out how best to care for her - did you end up making a wheelchair? If so, how is it working out?
No wheelchair, been super busy because I’m juggling college and highschool 💔 but I do leg therapy everyday, swimming and elevating his legs in a harness. He’s actually made some wonderful progress. Hell never ever walk again, his feet have healed in a position where his feet cannot bend down to walk properly but he’s gaining the strength to hop. I still think a wheelchair could reallh benefit him and am still going to make it this summer. I’ve seen other ducks in way worse position than my duck using wheelchairs wonderfully. They seem very easy to make as well.

Since my duck is fully disabled he has his own pen and girlfriend (Muscovy girlfriend because they are very gentle and non agressive) if your duck is the same I’d suggest she have her own area and away from any agressive animals. It helps keep stress levels low since they can’t run away and I also provide food and water in necks reach of the duck. I move him around quite frequently and provide him plenty of opportunities to swim since they still need to be active. How bad is your ducks walking capabilities?

Back
Top Bottom