Does anyone feed there chickens Mash?

One point with mash that is sometimes overlooked is that the chickens take longer to eat the mash then the pellets and therefore have less time to be bored & pick on each other. I have fed mash, crumbles & pellets and have never had much waste with any of it.

Quote:
That is the problem right there; a $2 to $3 per hundred weight increase in feed cost doesn't justify the use of molasses for me. For reference, I go through two ton of feed per month.

Quote:
That is the problem right there; a $2 to $3 per hundred weight increase in feed cost doesn't justify the use of molasses for me. For reference, I go through two ton of feed per month.

At the rate of 1 gallon to 300 lbs of feed you should be looking at from $24.00 to $26.00 for 2 ton of feed.

Chris

Quote:
I see you can get molasses for $2 per gallon. Here it is about $4.

I don't have the best options for low feed prices here in the Michigan UP. Much is shipped up here in the central part from Bark River, which in turn gets the feed from Wisconsin. The only feed we seem to get locally is oats and barley. Due to a short growing season, much of the corn here is for silage.

Quote:
I see you can get molasses for $2 per gallon. Here it is about $4.

I don't have the best options for low feed prices here in the Michigan UP. Much is shipped up here in the central part from Bark River, which in turn gets the feed from Wisconsin. The only feed we seem to get locally is oats and barley. Due to a short growing season, much of the corn here is for silage.

I get it of around .16 a pound at the feed mill. That puts me at about $1.92 a gallon (bulk). Did you getting your molasses from a feed mill or a store?

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
The Holmquist feed mill in Trenary, which is located in the heart of the Michigan Upper Peninsula. Stores that sell feed such as Tractor Supply are located at least 35 miles away.

Around here, you will see people going to the food co-op in farm tractors. We also race outhouses in the winter for entertainment.

Quote:
If you are talking about feed grade molasses then a good feed mill is your best bet.

Chris

Quote:

That's common around here in fact the hardware store and the grocery store (giant eagle) still have hitching posts and they still get used.

Chris

I use an organic mash. I only have 4 birds and it is 28$ for 50 lbs. neverminding cost, i have very little waste. infact my waste went down when i went to mash from crumbles. The reason i get organic, becasue it is the only mash available around me that I have found. I am in a suburb of chicago so not a lot of feedmills around lol

Back
Top Bottom