Does anyone go on vacation?

My parents live in New York City and they're definitely not allowed there! Anyway, my father was just rushed to the emergency room today and I can't impose on them that way. Plus, there's the fact that they don't like chickens.

All of the vet tech's are so far away, that they won't even drive to where I am.

And unfortunately the neighborhood kids aren't interested in earning extra money, they have too many extracurricular activities or their parents don't want them to have a job. Go figure! I've even offered kids $30 a day just to make sure that they had food and water.

And to think that I used to babysit three kids for a dollar an hour.

I pay a friend of mine $25/day to care for my chickens, dog, cat and bunny. She takes the dog home with her and then comes in the morning to let the girls out and back at night to lock them in.

We have people that do pet sitting around here. They advertise all over the place. Could you find someone that does that?

If its just one chicken, couldn't you just put her in a bathroom inside your house with a large bowl of food and water? Or does that seem unreasonable?

With the door shut, nothing could hurt her and I would think she would be safe. She might be bored for a couple days and you would have to clean up when you got home, but at least she should be safe while you were away.

Maybe I am weird, but thats what I would do lol.

I haven't had any problems finding people to swap vacation time with. They seem to love coming to collect eggs and watch the chickens and llamas. I'd check with your local 4-H office and advertise that you would like someone every now and again. Also if you call the school district and get the FFA teacher and let them know you are looking for someone on and off I'm sure you'd find someone. Recently we've had a teen aged boy advertise in our church paper that he would like odd jobs and works for 7 dollars an hour. It wouldn't even take two hours a day to check water and feed in the am and let the chicks out, tend to the llamas then in the pm do the same thing. Any stay at home Mom would probably jump at the chance to make a few dollars in this economy. I would for a little cash. I'd keep looking if I were you.

If you belong to a church, maybe you could ask your pastor if he knows of any local youths that might be looking for some work.
My pastor keeps a list of names of kids he knows that are interested in babysitting,mowing lawns etc.
In fact my son has gotten many lawnmowing jobs that way, as well as my daughters babysitting jobs when they were growing up.
You could also put a request in your church bulletin.

The other thing is maybe you could talk to the principal at your nearest high school and ask them if they know of anyone looking for a job like this.
They won't be able to give you the info, but they could pass along your contact info.

If you work outside the home, maybe a co worker would be willing to do it.

I would think it would be a great chance for someone with kids to do this, especially for anyone who has never been around chickens or ever had the opportunity to collect eggs.
I would tell them that they can also keep any eggs when they come to collect them.

There has to be someone willing to do it , good luck and keep looking.

We recently went away for the weekend and my in-laws watched the birds. We filled the feeders and waterers before we left, so all they really had to do was let them out in the morning, close them up at night and collect the eggs.

I'm very lucky. My sister lives right next door,and loves all animals. I will be going to Ireland in June,,and have no worries about my flocks. But the next best thing,,,is the vet center. Check all of them in your area. The vet assistants love this sort of work. They may even 'house sit' for you while your away. Its worth a shot,,,just start calling everyone in the phone book,,, Good Luck,,,,
D.gif
D.gif
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom