does anyone know why my ducks only trust me in certain conditions, and how to fix it?

think_fast_chicklenuts

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2024
I have 4 Pekin ducks. They are 7 weeks and 4 days old and live in a very spacious run with some chickens of the same age. (They get along well and there's enough space so the ducks don't trample the chicks.) I only recently stopped putting the chicks and ducks back in their separate brooders at night, and gave them a secure coop to sleep in. Whenever they're in the run or the coop, they're really scared of me, and I can never get them in without chasing them around and making them scared. But, before they slept in the coop, whenever I put them in the brooder for the night, they let me pet their necks, hand-feed them, and change out their food and water without being scared or trying to get away. The only thing they didn't like me doing was picking them up. But, this only happens in the brooder, and I think it might be because they can't see my full body and know that I tower over them. But, something I can't explain is that they still let me hand-feed them in the run, but only if they're in the kiddie pool. I've been spending lots of time around them, which has worked for the chickens, (one loves to jump on my back ❤️) but not the ducks. Should I just keep spending time with them and trying to feed them feed and mealworms?

Ducklings go through a 'teen age' phase where they become more apprehensive. 'Chasing them around and making them scared' only accentuates this. Try another way of getting them into the coop - tempt with feed. Forcing yourself on them at this point in their development only makes things worse. Tempting with feed is always a good thing.

I have 4 Pekin ducks. They are 7 weeks and 4 days old and live in a very spacious run with some chickens of the same age. (They get along well and there's enough space so the ducks don't trample the chicks.) I only recently stopped putting the chicks and ducks back in their separate brooders at night, and gave them a secure coop to sleep in. Whenever they're in the run or the coop, they're really scared of me, and I can never get them in without chasing them around and making them scared. But, before they slept in the coop, whenever I put them in the brooder for the night, they let me pet their necks, hand-feed them, and change out their food and water without being scared or trying to get away. The only thing they didn't like me doing was picking them up. But, this only happens in the brooder, and I think it might be because they can't see my full body and know that I tower over them. But, something I can't explain is that they still let me hand-feed them in the run, but only if they're in the kiddie pool. I've been spending lots of time around them, which has worked for the chickens, (one loves to jump on my back ❤️) but not the ducks. Should I just keep spending time with them and trying to feed them feed and mealworms?
Ducklings go through a 'teen age' phase where they become more apprehensive. 'Chasing them around and making them scared' only accentuates this. Try another way of getting them into the coop - tempt with feed. Forcing yourself on them at this point in their development only makes things worse. Tempting with feed is always a good thing.
Agreed. Another great way to get them into the coop, if feed doesn’t work, is to build a funnel-shaped fence outside the coop.

Also, I hope your ducks are all female. Drakes living with chickens is a recipe for disaster.

Just remain calm as possible when you're with them - slow movements and plenty of treats so they know you're the source of good things!

Back
Top Bottom