Does egg shape determine gender?

I know a local farmer that tested this theory on 100 eggs set in an incubator. According to her the gender was predicted accurately on 98 of the 100 eggs. She raises Freedom Rangers specifically I believe

Hi there, I heard something interesting today and wondered if anyone else has heard/tried it... apparently if you select round eggs to hatch you get hens and pointy eggs are roosters. I have no idea if this is true or not but hey it's worth a try.
I am interested in this theory and have been curious for a while SO I am going to try this with my quail incubation before I try it with my chickens. Supposedly this theory is for all birds. I will update you once this science experiment is finished!

I know a local farmer that tested this theory on 100 eggs set in an incubator. According to her the gender was predicted accurately on 98 of the 100 eggs. She raises Freedom Rangers specifically I believe
When I look at my eggs (I breed at home both quail and chicken) it’s sometimes very hard to determine a point. Some of my birds consistently lay the exact same shape egg every time. I have a few blue and green egg layers that always lay pointy eggs. And I have some brown layers that only lay round eggs never with a blunt tip. So with some layers this theory can’t quite be tested. But I am about to try it with my quail eggs! Breeding is very addicting. So my incubator has been running for over a year now once I first got it lol. So now I’m still addicted but now want to experiment with different theories. Funny that I hated science in school back in the day and now at my midlife crisis I guess at 43 I’m hooked on science.

So, I was going to outright reject this theory on the grounds of xx/xy chromosome determination of humans. The theory I was going to follow is that the male would effectively determine the sex of the offspring and the female will be laying regardless. BUT, it looks like chickens go by zz/zw chromosomes, where the male is the zz and female is zw. So, in this setup, the egg is technically sexed even if it is not fertilized since there will either be a z or a w on every laying, just will need that male z to actually form a chicken.

There may be some truth to variance between sexed eggs. I have my doubts that it would be as obvious as egg shape, but hopeful. Keeping an eye on this one!
I agree with you that it might be hard to believe. My question is, since I am new to hatching chicks and raising them, how can you tell the sex when they are little? Do you just have to wait until they get older to see?

Back
Top Bottom