Does my Hen Have Coccidiosis?

How old is she? Do you have a picture of her that shows her chest? What do her poops look like? Pictures can help. Can you feel of her crop, and tell us if it is empty and flat, full, hard, dough-like or puffy like a balloon? If you have a vet who could do a fecal float on fresh droppings collected in a ziploc bag, they can rule out coccidiosis and worms, or identify them. If you suspect coccidiosis you can get some Corid liquid or powder and treat her.

How old is she? Do you have a picture of her that shows her chest? What do her poops look like? Pictures can help. Can you feel of her crop, and tell us if it is empty and flat, full, hard, dough-like or puffy like a balloon? If you have a vet who could do a fecal float on fresh droppings collected in a ziploc bag, they can rule out coccidiosis and worms, or identify them. If you suspect coccidiosis you can get some Corid liquid or powder and treat her.
1 1/2 years. I will get pics but I won't know which poops are hers.

IMG_20211024_150615924.jpg

Like I said I don't know which poops are hers. Her crop is doughy and feels empty. She is also very light and won't eat or drink. Also she will like fall asleep in the middle of the run and I can tap her and she won't open her eyes.

If her crop is empty, you should not even feel it. If it has food or fluid inside, it can feel firm, doughy, or puffy. The crop normally is empty and flat in early morning after emptying overnight. It fills up with food and water during the day, and in the morning, if it has not emptied, there could be impacted or sour crop. Do you smell a bad or sour odor from her beak?

At 1 1/2 she could be starting to molt, or she could be sick. Does she normally lay eggs? Can you give her some Poultry Nutridrench 2 ml orally or give her some water and electrolytes? Water mixed with a little chicken feed in a mash can get some fluids into her.

If her crop is empty, you should not even feel it. If it has food or fluid inside, it can feel firm, doughy, or puffy. The crop normally is empty and flat in early morning after emptying overnight. It fills up with food and water during the day, and in the morning, if it has not emptied, there could be impacted or sour crop. Do you smell a bad or sour odor from her beak?

At 1 1/2 she could be starting to molt, or she could be sick. Does she normally lay eggs? Can you give her some Poultry Nutridrench 2 ml orally or give her some water and electrolytes? Water mixed with a little chicken feed in a mash can get some fluids into her.
Ok.

Yes she normally lays eggs. Yes I think I have some of that. Thank you!

Have you ever dewormed your flock? Also, is this her usual color on her face and comb? Have you checked her vent and all around it? Opened her mouth to look for any plaques in her mouth and/or throat? What do you feed her, including treats? I know you're unable to tell which poop is hers, so do any of them look odd?

Have you ever dewormed your flock? Also, is this her usual color on her face and comb? Have you checked her vent and all around it? Opened her mouth to look for any plaques in her mouth and/or throat? What do you feed her, including treats? I know you're unable to tell which poop is hers, so do any of them look odd?
No I have not dewormed. No they are usually really red and upright. Her feathers around are all poopy but her vent is clear. No I will though. I feed them Blue seal organic layer pellets and Nutrena feather fixer. I haven't checked will though.

Back
Top Bottom