Does my pullet have an ear infection?

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
Just noticed this on one of my pullets. I also noticed her "gaping" (not sure if that's the right term) with her mouth. Kinda like opening her mouth like she was uncomfortable. Is this some sort of ear infection? What can I do to help her if anything? Thanks!!

20220227_161727.jpg
20220227_161743.jpg

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous

Yes. You will need to clean the gunk out of the ear after putting a couple drops of mineral or coconut oil in there to soften the stuff. Use a Q-tip with most of the cotton removed.

After the ear is cleaned out, pack the inner ear with Neosporin or Triple-a ointment. Yes. It hurts most likely.

Redo the ointment each day. If the ear gets worse, swells, then an oral antibiotic will be required.

Yes. You will need to clean the gunk out of the ear after putting a couple drops of mineral or coconut oil in there to soften the stuff. Use a Q-tip with most of the cotton removed.

After the ear is cleaned out, pack the inner ear with Neosporin or Triple-a ointment. Yes. It hurts most likely.

Redo the ointment each day. If the ear gets worse, swells, then an oral antibiotic will be required.
Thank you!

Kinda like opening her mouth like she was uncomfortable. Is this some sort of ear infection?
You mention opening her beak is uncomfortable...does she have any lesions or pasty material inside the beak too?

👇👇👇 I would definitely read the article that @dawg53 referenced, good information along with treatments.
It looks like the start of an ear infection, aka Ear Canker. Here's a link for you to read including treatments:
https://www.chickenwhisperermagazine.com/health-and-wellness/ear-canker

Back
Top Bottom