Dog attack, injured chicken

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
I just got home and found my dog trying to eat/play with the chickens. I found one (Dottie) that I thought was dead. She's still breathing. I don't think any organs are punctured. She's not gasping for air. Her crop is punctured, and food was slowly coming out. I stitched the hole closed (not just the skin, I made sure to close the actual crop). She has some holes in her neck that are really deep. No punctures that I can see on her chest or abdomen. I gave her a shot of antibiotics. She can't hold her head up, but she can move her legs. She is opening her eyes more now. I have her propped up. She pooped and it looks normal. She's tried to get up, and had a few moments where she wants to escape. Is there anything else I can do for her? Please Help!

Attachments

• 20230225_163717.jpg
    20230225_163717.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I think Dottie is in shock. She's tired from the trauma, her pulse is weak and fast. I put a towel on her and got a heat lamp on her. She did try to fly away again. She's still breathing fine though. She kept trying to lift up her head, then it would fall off of the towels. I had to fill the box with cartons to keep her up.

Attachments

• 20230225_171039.jpg
    20230225_171039.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom