Mar 29, 2021
Hi! I have a disabled chicken named Paddy whos got no upper beak. Shes come a long way and is wonderful. I have a chill silkie to keep her company and tomorrow im meeting up with a woman whos giving me another disabled hen to add to the tiny flock. She lost an eye somehow in the late summer/early fall or 2022.
I will be using the see but dont touch method using a dog crate
I see other people using dog crates all the time for this method but usually the wire ones. I have a large plastic carrier that has a metal door and metal bar windows, will this still work even though theres a bit of reduced visibility?

Hi! I have a disabled chicken named Paddy whos got no upper beak. Shes come a long way and is wonderful. I have a chill silkie to keep her company and tomorrow im meeting up with a woman whos giving me another disabled hen to add to the tiny flock. She lost an eye somehow in the late summer/early fall or 2022.
I will be using the see but dont touch method using a dog crate
I see other people using dog crates all the time for this method but usually the wire ones. I have a large plastic carrier that has a metal door and metal bar windows, will this still work even though theres a bit of reduced visibility?
Welcome to BYC!! Do you have a picture of Paddy? :)

I wouldn't count on this hen being overly disabled. I have a one-eyed hen who can dish out just as much as she takes.
Yeah a chickens tenacity is nothing to be taken lightly. Paddy can hold her own with stabbing and kicking but cant bite down on anything. If it goes wrong and after a couple weeks they are extremely violent then the previous owner and I have a backup plan.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I love these dog crates, they make excellent separation cages, hospital and jail cages. I think your system will help greatly, keep the separation going for a couple of weeks. When you do mix all the birds, make sure to add more food and water stations and watch carefully for several days. As long as the disabled birds aren't getting harmed, let them work it out.

Good luck and enjoy your new birds!

Back
Top Bottom