Dog got hold of one of our hens-skin tore

We let our girls out for the first time today in the back yard. Our dog was pretty relaxed with them. One of our hens is super friendly so my husband picked her up to bring over to the sun. Our dog got excited and jumped up and managed to pull some feathers out. At first we didn’t think anything of it, but then we saw the feathers had some fat on them. Upon inspection, her skin tore. It looks bloody, but it isn’t bleeding at all. We used some microcynAH on the wound. Chicken skin is so thin! Just curious if we should separate her tonight and any other recommendations! These are some photos. She’s walking around the yard just fine eating all the good stuff right now. I think the wound looks worse than it is from that angle because it doesn’t look that bloody from the other angles
I had the same issue many years ago, but the wound was worse. I just isolated her from the flock and sprayed that purple horse spray on it and around it to keep the flies off of it. It took a while, but eventually it healed on its own without any other intervention. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom