Dog training to be around a flock

Rosekitten

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2018
Rockingham, NC
In the next few years I will finally be able to get chickens again where I will be starting my own flock from chicks from local chicken keepers.

My worry and concern is that I have a dog and he won't be a puppy anymore during this time so I won't be training a new pup on how to deal with chickens. The dog is a Newoundland and I have heard mixed thoughts on if they can be trained or work well with chickens..

I just want to know in advanced what to expect or prepare for. He's still a young pup and I ma in the process of training to not chase the cats (my youngest cat runs so it's a struggle but one we are slowly winning on the pup listening to leave the cats alone).

In the next few years I will finally be able to get chickens again where I will be starting my own flock from chicks from local chicken keepers.

My worry and concern is that I have a dog and he won't be a puppy anymore during this time so I won't be training a new pup on how to deal with chickens. The dog is a Newoundland and I have heard mixed thoughts on if they can be trained or work well with chickens..

I just want to know in advanced what to expect or prepare for. He's still a young pup and I ma in the process of training to not chase the cats (my youngest cat runs so it's a struggle but one we are slowly winning on the pup listening to leave the cats alone).
Be consistent with his training and teach him to respect you and your belongings. You can also work with him around all different types of animals, moving objects, different situations as possible. I like to expose my dogs to everything possible and condition them not to react, but try to make them stay focused on you at all times. Keep up the obedience training!

Is there anyway you could introduce him to chickens now? Like take him over to the people who you will be getting chicks from. Then at least he’ll have some knowledge about them.

Back
Top Bottom