Dogs and Chickens

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
Sorry but I am unsure if this is right area for this post.

We have 30 chickens that are in a chickenhouse/run. We also have one househen-a silkie.

We are interested in getting a bloodhound pup. What are the odds that we will be able to raise that pup to know that Goofy-the househen-is NOT a snack?

It all depends on the dog and how well you train it. Some dogs can never be left with chickens and some dogs can have chickens crawling all over them at any time. There is no easy answer to this question.

I have no idea of the odds but even our Great Pyr needed training. She thought as a puppy that those chickens were FUN! I had to keep her on leash as I was doing the chick chores and everytime I went I'd tell her CHICKENS. Then if she even looked like she was going to pounce I'd tug lightly and say NO. Also I have her with the babies with me present just sit with them and play with them. We've just now after a year (because she'd a house dog not a farm dog) let her be off leash. She was a wanderer and now mature enough to be trusted. She has good come recall and good obedience as far as sit, down etc.

Socialize the dog well, with people and animals, and with good training you won't have problems. Socializing is really the most important part. There is truly nothing better than to have a nice, gentle dog.

It really does depend on a lot, as others have said. If you work faithfully at training, and the dog is a people pleaser, I'm sure it'll work. As a pup, you won't be able to leave them alone together for quite a while, because pups are pups, and will want to play with another small animals, whether it's a cat or a chicken or a pet rat. And in playing, could hurt or kill the bird. But my dogs (gold. retrievers) will lay around on the front porch with my chickens (and maybe a cat or two too...lol). So it can work.
Start early, and be consistant.

I make my yellow lab lie down in the run, and then the chickens come over to him. He doesn't like the run to much since he discovered the electric fence.

This is how I did it.

We have a mixed breed dog that looks a little like a fat beagle with shorter legs.
lol.png
My son brought him to us last May as a puppy.
love.gif
He was very small, only about 8 inches tall.

I would incourage him to follow me all around while feeding all the animals and also be around while the chickens were out free-ranging. He learned very quickly not to mess with the hens because they will peck. Now he is a little bigger than them, but he does not bother them at all. I totally trust him, even without me there. He can find more entertaining things to do, like play with the cats, they love him.
lau.gif
LOL

Whatever you do, if it will upset you terribly if your dog kills some chickens at some point, I would make sure they have seperate yards, trained or not. Even good trained dogs can sometimes get carried away. It just depends on the dog, too. My brother's Bull Terrier has zero interest in small animals or chickens. Doesn't even look at them. He isn't very obedient, but it doesn't matter because he just doesn't care about chasing or even looking at other animals. On the other hand, my Doxie's eyes google out when she spot's a small animal. I can't trust her, and she has had tons of obedience. (Puppy, intermediate, adult, Canine Good Citizen, & more) She is a hunting dog, and I just can't get her to quit, so I keep her seperate, and we are training her for Earthdog competitions. My point is, you can train your dog, but no one can predict exactly how safe your dog will ultimately be around chickens. You can improve the chances by getting a dog breed that is a livestock gaurding breed, or low prey drive breed. Bassets might be inclined to follow thier nose, so just remember that tracking and hunting are closely related.

I have back yard chickens so I had to work this out..... 10 dogs.... all have more prey drive then a normal pet.....I compete so I wanted drive!
I trained my dogs that they are never ever EVER to go in to the chickens "house"

I never leave them unsupervised when the chickens are loose in the yard
when they have to go out we go out in pairs.

a good strong "no" or "leave it" comand is great. Dogs will be dogs! And the whole "pack" thing can and will kick in!

Some of mine think the chickens are their pets not mine. my border collie and pointer mix counts his chicks! When one is lost he goes and looks for her or him! he is so cute when he is looking for his chicken!

We have a collie dog as well as our chickens. Even though he had never seen a dog before in his life (hes 5) he ran around and around their pen, annoying them.
The only way the chickens are still alive is that we got some black weedblock and put it around the wire so that doggy couldn't see in. He can still hear them but they can't
see him so its all good. Never trust a dog around chickens even if he is their friend, he can always turn!

Back
Top Bottom