Dogs and Chicks....

I have a pointer/coon mix with a very high prey drive. He has in the past killed a few chickens while under the care of his previous owner. I have 24 chicks all 11 weeks old and 9 ducks of various ages. FIRST start by working on one dog at a time. Take them out with you on a leash when your with the chicks. At any slight notion the dog may snip or anything firmly tell them "no" in a deep voice. Also while indoor work on the "leave it" comand. This is what I have done and continue to do. Wilbur (our dog) has not touched any of our birds. He is doing awesome. We also had the dogs (had two at the begining) around the brooder and allowed them to check out the chicks as much as possible so there would eb no jelousy. I am very stern with my dog so he is fully aware the birds are mine and I am dominant in my house. We can now place Wilbur on a chain when we leave or I need to clean house and he doesnt touch the birds. They will come right up to him and he leaves them alone. Now if the birds start running he will watch and point at them lol and shake uncontrolably. Its just instinct for the dogs to want to go after the chickens. It will take you being completely dominant and in control to get them to co-exist.

Here are some pics. I couldnt find one with Wilbur and the chicks recently while outside I'll have to take one.

ETA: My entire flock open ranges all day, I do not have them penned up in an enclosure that "dog" proof. Training the dogs can happen, but it will take time. Patience and Zero tolerance are very important.

Day 1 - checking out the chicks (Wilbur is the larger black and white dog)

Bonding with a Shifu our baby duck we recently hatched

Last edited:
Since you have worked with the boxer around the chicks he responded well, but you don't mention working the other dogs around them so, that's what you have to do. Whatever training method you use you have to be the dominent one...dogs constantly test their boundaries and once there are three together the pack wins out. depending on the individual dog and wanting to please you, age is a consideration, as in puppies take longer...naturally want to 'play and chase ' and nothing is so enticing as a chicken that 'plays ' the game so well. Once all have been indidually trained you have to take them as a group and you must have control. As far as what's considered humane is really controversial isn't it. In a pack the leader dominates by attacking the other until it submits. Yes nature can be vicious of course the point is to insist the dog do as you want, not shrug off and say, he won't do it. Not everyone is an animal trainer so you might employ one to help with the more difficult dog, small price for peace of mind. If not, you have to work around the dog schedule, so in essense your dominated.the dog in the photo came to me second hand. I introduced him to chicks, let him smell and sniff and touch and let them ride around on him then let thm all loose together. I knew I could trust him completely when he brought to me a young bird that had fallen out of the nest, an laid it,unharmed at my feet. Now I have three more dogs to go . Wish you luck

So much great advice from all of you- this is a huge help for us and I appreciate it so much!

Thank you for asking this question, I've been researching this myself. We have three dogs, one bulldog, one staffordshire terrier, and a pint size 5lb yorkie. They get along great, all three do their best at keeping away unwanted intruders (such as foxes and deer). The staffie is the most "trainable" one, how soon can I introduce them to our new chicks? We'll be picking up the chicks tomorrow and keeping them in a "makeshift" brooder. We're using a kiddie pool, protected by a cardboard wall going around the circumference. They'll be in room separate from where the dogs could get to them. My concern is that introducing the chicks to the dogs might be too overwhelming on their first day. Am I being overly cautious? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Our dog and cat with our three-week old chicks. Dog tends to the maternal busy-body, frequently herding them. Cat is curious, even a bit cautious around them. Cat was left alone for four hours with the chicks in our mud room by mistake, but all survived in good shape. We've got a second cat who is more of the hunter, occasionally brings home a bird. She's met the chicks, but I wouldn't yet trust her alone with the chicks. This weekend we'll start work building the run.

Last edited:
My beagle showed great interest in my chicks when they were little. When they moved to the run in the yard he would bark at them and I kept them seperated. Later I would let the chickens out of the run to free range in the yard and let the dog out under supervision and had to tell him no many times when he would start approachng them. Finally he called down and slowly approached one of them one day. The chicken and I watched him carefully and then the chicken started approaching the dog. Then all of a sudden the whole flock charged the dog, he ran in the house only looking back to see if they were in pursuit. Now if he comes out and sees the chickens in the yard he will stand on the porch and watch them. If any of them comes towards the porch it's back in the house as fast as he can get there.No I do not let him out when the chickens are out unless I'm there. Might be too much time for paybacks. He doesn't show any interest in them when they are in their run now.

that's very cool - I think my dog will be similar - he's mildly curious now - while they are in their brooder. I'm very concerned about the cats - at least until the chicks get big enough to defend themselves. It's hard for me to remember to shut doors - you know what I mean ;-)... I got breeds that tend to the larger size - not as big as jersey giant, but hopefully in the 6-7 lb range when full grown - figure they'll be able to gang up on 8 pound cats (they're smallish cats) - should they accidentally end up in the same space unsupervised, later.

I figure my shepherd mix is going to want to eat my chicks. He was not too nice to my cat. Anyway so today I accidentally left him inside with the chick in the brooder. I was afraid to go inside when I got home and realized what I had done! Anyway all is well with the chick! Good doggy! Of course I still don't trust him but at least he did not take advantage of getting to stay inside all day!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom