Dogs and Chicks....

I have 3 boxers. We have a 3.5yr male, a 2.5yr old female, and a 4mo male. And we have 6 3 week old black sex links.

Lucy has previously hunted mice, so I was concerned about her around the chicks. Bear (3yo) is new to our family and I worried how he would react as well. So far, Lucy has snatched up one chick one time. She did not hurt it, but dropped it on command. I do think she likes to chase and catch them, so I will have to work on that with her. But she has now reached the point where if one makes it on to the floor, she will not touch it. The puppy has been great so far - being so young, he's pretty accepting of whatever we bring home.
big_smile.png

Like others have said, I make them sit and lie down around the chicks. If your dogs get wide-eyed and fixated on them, they're already 'on the hunt' and ready to pounce. So even that behavior warrants correction. Until they can fully relax around the birds and not chase or fixate on them, I won't trust them. I have yet to do any outdoor training with them, but I think I'm going to start with Jack (the puppy) this week.

If you're interested, there is actually a Dog Whisperer video of Cesar training a dog with a chicken.

There has already been several excellent responses along my experiences, but I just thought I would add mine.

I stated in another thread earlier that I have the best varmit dog ever. However, he readily, willingly and often went after my chicks when I first got them. He even killed one.

My advice is to make the pursueing of chicks and chickens a very unpleasant experience for your dogs. One at time is better. Isolation won't get them acclimated to the birds. It will take perseverance on your part.
My personal experience involved alot of stern speech, a water hose, and occasionally a 2x4. Like I said, he's the best varmit dog ever. If he hears even a chipmunk bark in the brush, he takes off after it.

Boredom will lead to a chase. I notice my dog eyeballing my chicks even now. I don't trust him around the lil peeps. Something about their antics and acrobatics gets him excited.
He hasn't chased one in about a year now. So it can be done. Hope this helps.

training.   training.  more training.    Just like cleaning the coop and scooping poop and all the other jobs that come with having a pet.   The only thing more necessary to a dog than training is food!

You already know that he is excited with the chicks.   Find the closest distance that the dog first notices the birds in the brooder.  This might be in another room if he is one to constantly glance at the door.    Put your dog on leash and get some extra special treats that he only gets for this work - bacon, grilled chicken (no spices!), hot dog chunks, etc.     When the dog glances toward the birds, say his name and "leave it"    If he looks at you, give him a treat - if he doesn't, give a light pop on the leash (think tap on the shoulder).  When he looks at you reward him.  
You can also teach him "watch me" the same way.   You can practice this at random times though out the day.   If you have a couple extra minutes while you're watching TV or whatever, just say his name, pause, "watch me"   When he makes eye contact, then reward him.    You can also (if you get in the habit of keeping a small treat in your pockets) catch him looking towards you say "watch me" and then reward.  Or just praise him verbally.

Once the dog is reliably paying attention to you and the birds at a distance, move a little bit closer.   If he absolutely blows you off, you're too close.  Just back up a bit and begin again.   Eventually you will be right amongst the birds.    You can then start at a distance or with a long line (20' leash or so) and work from there.    I never ever leave my dogs/chickens loose unattended together.  
I don't even trust Rayden

I don't mean I constantly hover over the dogs when they are out with the birds, but I am in the area and aware of what they are doing.   Think of it as a small child.  Even though you've taught them not to play with matches, would you leave them alone in the house with matches scattered all over the floor?

The most important part of the training is to set the dog up to succeed.   Don't give him a chance to chase the birds.  Don't give him a chance to disobey.  

ETA:  The best thing about teaching "leave it" is that it works for everything.   Drop something on the floor and don't want the dogs to touch it?  "leave it"    See dog running toward a snake?  "leave it"     Lots of training and work, but it pays off!
Of course, some dogs just can't be trusted off-leash.  Period.   They are just too focused on the birds.  In that case, just confine the dog when the birds are out.   

I had poultry as a kid growing up. We always had dogs and poultry and fortunately we were able to integerate our animals so that there was harmony. Seldon did we have problems with the dogs chasing or killing the birds. On the few occasions that I do recall where there was a problem, usually the dog was on the loosing end.

This is our little dog...Sophie.

If anybody comes to the door, she barks...if the neighbors go outside to smoke a cigarete, she barks...if a squirrel wanders into the backyard, she barks.

Chickens...She ignores.

Thank you everyone for all your comments. Our dogs are very well disciplined, we've introduced 2 of the 3, the bulldog and the yorkie. Both were introduced after a full day of playing outside so they were all drained from any extra energy. Lucy the bulldog was just beyond curious/perturbed! ha! She had her eyebrows perked as she watched them run around their brooder. The yorkie was a bit more excited to see them, maybe bc they're closer to his size. I figure we'll have very supervised visits with the chicks until they see them as a normal part of their environment. Does this sound about right?

Back
Top Bottom