Doin' the dip

Kikiriki

Songster
May 26, 2011
Roanoke County, Virginia
My girls just turned 17 weeks, although one of the three seems smaller/younger. A couple of days ago one scrunched down when I approach and today a second one did it. I understand this is what they do for roosters, so is this an indication of sexual maturity? Should I start checking for eggs? Since I let them free range, should I keep them locked up for a few days until they learn to use the nestbox?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

And I hope that evryone has been okay through the heatwave and storms...

That behavior is what most of us call "the Squat" - and it can often precede egg laying by a couple of weeks. It's also a sign of submission and can be related to status within the flock. Not always, but often, in young pullets it does indicate the little girl is growing up and will lay her first eggs within a month.

Not all hens squat for humans, and some hens which do squat may stop doing it as they get older.

Thanks for the response! I had a bet the girls would lay this week, and my husband picked next week: Looks like I lose, but if it could still be weeks away, then at least he doesnt win! Haha!

I had read gold sex links were supposed to start laying early at 17 weeks...I was so hoping....

The part of the question (Should I lock them up in thier house so they learn where to lay eggs) was not answered in the last post. Does anyone have the answer? One of my hens found her way to the barn instead of the 4 neat nest boxes in their chicken coop worthy of HGTV.

I'm more likely to find a snake than an egg, so hunting is not my first choice! I tried spanish moss for a nest material and they pulled it all right out, with repeats every time I put it back... Sigh....

Will shredded paper work? At least it isn't attached and won't come out in a big bunch. Or dried leaves?

I do not want to spend money... Budget is too tight and BOTH cars crapped out within 2 days of each other this week! Thank heavens my folks had one we could borrow until the first one is fixed!

Grass...That's a thought, as long as it gets dried out first... Guess I could go find a field and cut some hay... Our mower mulches so it would not make good bedding. My next door neighbor has horses so I could ask to buy a pat of hay from them. I just get nervous about the long bits having read so many stories of impacted crops, though. I dont want to use grass from the roadside because it is exposed to so much toxins from car exhaust. (fussy me!) i think I'll try dry oak leaves since I have them on hand and I know they won't eat them, and then add dried grass as I can cut it...

Thanks for the idea!

Yo ho! We put hay in our nest boxes and used the golf balls suggested. So far 2 of our pullets (now hens) have found their ways into the nest boxes to lay their eggs. We are trusting the rest of our dozen girls willl do the same. They are a pretty smart group of ladies. We are proud!!!!! :eek:)

We used grass clippings for a while. It worked well, have used cedar shavings(which we use for our guinea pig cage), and they work great too.....but, the grass clippings are sooo much cheaper!! Good luck. As for laying in the nest.....we locked ours up in their hen-house every evening and let them out in the mid-morning for 3 days and they went straight to it at night themselves and....Betty (our hen) goes straight into the nesting box every morning about 9 am to lay her egg-of-the-day(which she has slacked off due to the extreme heat lately)....

Back
Top Bottom