DokDream says "Hello."

Dokdream

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2023
I've been wanting to raise backyard chickens for years. Recently, my wife finally agreed. Now she is moe excited than I am! We started with five chicks from Cooper's Hardware in Sylmar, CA. Lovely little bits of life. "Betty" jumped into my hand from the start and has been a love....until a few days ago. A raccoon got over the 6-ft yard fence and murdered her. I'm really upset.

The coop itself came from Tractor Supply, and it is fabulous. I'm presently adding a flolding run to it --- I'll send photos when finished. I did enclose their portion of the yard with "critter fencing," but that was to give the hens "their space."

The same day the attack occurred, in the evening, we went to TS and bought another five babies. That was mainly to soothe our loss. My wife had discovered the carnage and she was hysterical when she called me. They new chicks are presently in our brooder, inside. The original, remaining four girls are clearly traumatized by the racoon attack. It will take time for them to feel brave enough to venture out of the coop again. Eventually we will introduce the babies to the original hens.

I found your site to learn how others flattened hardware cloth. Yes, it is rough to work with, but it is a better choice than either expanded metal mesh (cost) or chicken wire (durability and too big openings). One unexpected personal benefit from having chickens is that my blood pressure went down from 170 to 120! Wathcing them is so relaxing and therapeutic.

I do have a question. Would a rooster have protected the hens from the racoon? I know that the crowing could elicit complaints from our neighbors, and that could prompt investigation by Animal Control --- which I don't relish. Nevertheless, it is a thought, and replies from others would be welcome.

first off I welcome you to BYC!
roosters fight to protect their hens but the rooster wouldve got killed instead
Use the 1/2 hardware cloth to cover all holes
a mink can fit through a quarter sized hole
digging predators can be stopped by a hardware cloth 'skirt'
my duck house is a shed. one foot off the ground. i dug trenches all around it that were one foot deep and 2 feet wide. I got 4 ft wide hardware cloth and attached it near the bottom of the coop and it goes down into the trench , bends, and then out the 2 feet. (then I refilled the trenches with dirt.)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry for your loss, :hugs it's always traumatic on our hearts, remaining chickens as well.

Yes and no on the rooster. Many times it's too late for the rooster to step in, some roos will fight, others just sound an alarm. Unless you are interested in fertile eggs, you might hold off on getting a rooster. Some of them can be aggressive with humans, and require a certain amount of diligence on your part to stay safe as the rooster does his job. You might be better off keeping them in a giant run and supervising free range time, you can also use electric fencing which will keep most ground predators out.

Good luck with your babies! If you have any questions about them along the way, be sure to ask.

Welcome to our community!

I'm an environmental chemist. I perform environmental evaluations of Real Estate. One job was in a yard where chickens were kept. A large, white rooster didn't like me being there. It flutter-flew at me, butting my chest with his. I didn't want to hurt the bird -- was amused to see him doing his job -- so I understand that roosters can be aggressive against intruders. The 'coon that got in to our back yard did so during the day. It came over the 6-ft fence surrounding our yard. No disruption to the chicken/garden "critter fence," which was just UV resistanct plastic. The coop is under a fruit tree, and open areas are covered with yard cloth. (We've noticed that the plants are happier with a little shade, BTW.). This is to protect the chickens from falcons. Yes, they built a nest in a tree in the FRONT yard. I befriended the youngest falcon chick, Ford, so he knows me by sight and freely approaches. I also feed the wild birds in the front yard. We know when the falcons are back in their nest because the bird seed -- which is in a feeder nearby -- remains uneaten. Well, except for Nelson, the front-yard squirrel. He goes for the corn, mainly.

Back
Top Bottom