Dominique questions

Angel207

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 24, 2015
N.C
ordered and hatched Dominique eggs. out of 15, 12 hatched. Please look at the straight/single combs in the photos and tell me if this is normal for Dominique chicks. 3 are like this. The others have the rosett combs. If there is any chance these are something other than Dominiques, I don’t dare introduce them into my Dominique flock. This is the first time I have ordered hatching eggs. I do not remember any of my Dominiques having straight combs when they were chicks.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpeg
    IMG_0852.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0849.jpeg
    IMG_0849.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0845.jpeg
    IMG_0845.jpeg
    706.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 10
I am not a Dominique breeder, but I would guess that those birds contain non Dominique DNA. Depending on the nature of your breeding program, I might be reluctant to raise chicks from any of them.

There should not be any single combs. Probably Barred Rocks got in the line at some point.
Rose combs are dominate over single so without test breeding I'd be worried some of the rose comb ones carry single comb gene.
I personally wouldn't use any of them.

I also wouldn't use any of them for breeding. I'd suspect the "breeder" may not even know the difference. How often have you seen a "Dominecker" for sale that is just a Barred Plymouth Rock? People think because a bird is Black and White (striped), it's a Dominique regardless of the comb. I've had Cuckoo Marans in the past that people have asked to purchase, thinking they were Dominiques.

I am not a Dominique breeder, but I would guess that those birds contain non Dominique DNA. Depending on the nature of your breeding program, I might be reluctant to raise chicks from any of them.
Thank you. I needed someone else’s thoughts on this. Really frustrating. The woman I ordered from here in NC mountains refunded my money even though I told her it wasn’t necessary.

I also wouldn't use any of them for breeding. I'd suspect the "breeder" may not even know the difference. How often have you seen a "Dominecker" for sale that is just a Barred Plymouth Rock? People think because a bird is Black and White (striped), it's a Dominique regardless of the comb. I've had Cuckoo Marans in the past that people have asked to purchase, thinking they were Dominiques.
Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom