Dominique Thread!

I am sad to report that my (now ex) rooster killed my Dominique pullet on Friday.. I was so upset. After having her quarantined for 5weeks and handling her, spending time with her I had grown very fond of this girl... I will be looking for more hens this fall..

Last edited:
We have raised them for a while and they are THE sweetest things ever. We are down to around 20 now but had about twice that many. They are EXCELLENT layers of a medium/small light brown egg. They dear confinement well, but are also excellent free rangers.
1571_004_copy.jpg

1571_014.jpg

1571_024_.jpg

1571_pict0578.jpg

Hi everyone, What a great forum. Found myself reading about humidity levels for incubators and got myself hooked. I like to call them American Dominiques. They are the oldest breed in this country and deserve more attention. These birds are great to excellant egg layers and are great mothers. Since they have been in this country for more than 350 years they have adapted very well to our climate. My entire flock consist of only Dominiques. they are free range and take care of themselves with little or no help from me. Spring through the fall they hardly eat any feed becouse of thier hardy diet of bugs and greens. One night I accidently locked out a couple of hens from the coop. I found them the next morning roosting up high in a tree! I am currently working with this flock specifically for genetic preservation. It is a long process,but it is well worth the effort for such a historic bird. If you want to learn more about this breed here is a great website and you can also become a member! http://www.dominiqueclub.org/ Also Mark Fields has a site; http://www.dominiquechicken.com/index.html. These dedicated people convinced me to get this breed and I am so glad I did.

I have 10 hens and 1 cock
13 in the incubator due 1 April
and 15 coming from a breeder from ohio at the end of April

Thanks Dixiedoodle for starting this thread, it is great to see others interested in this great breed.

50799_one_year_doms.jpg

got 15 dominiques and 15 delewares comin in 2 weeks the 13th then Ill get the brooder cleaned out and aim for 15 buckeyes have to get the new coop finished busy time on the farm...

I ordered a Dominique pullet chick from a hatchery and they sent an extra, which I assume is a cockerel. They are now 6 weeks old and I want to be sure which is which because I can't keep roos. The one I think is a pullet had black legs and a somewhat dispersed spot on the head. The other had a spot on the head, but slightly different patterns of white on the underside. I can't remember but I think its legs were more yellow. Now they are six weeks and the suspected pullet is smaller and daintier, has a hen tail, but her comb is more developed too.

Here is the pullet (?):

44069_violet_1.jpg

Here is the mystery bird:

44069_dominique_1.jpg

44069_dominique_2jpg.jpg

44069_francis_3.jpg

In the last one, the henish one is in the foreground, so you can see (s)he has the bigger comb. Any opinions?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom