Sponsored Post Don't have a flawless memory? Who does?!?

Hello Everyone,

This is Tony, the fellow with glasses in the videos.

I wanted to share a couple of comments regarding the renegade hens. HappySlappyFarm, there are a couple of reasons that hens don't go into the coop. The most common reason is simply that the coop is too dark. Yes, it is evening & the sun is setting, but if they can't see around inside the coop, they are scared like CHICKENS! Bu seriously, look inside the coop when they normally go in and see how dark is it. You can paint the inside white, or add a window, something to help them see.

Another issue is hens that simply have not been trained to go into a coop. It doesn't sound like that is the issue here, but it's worth noting. Whenever hens are moved, they need to learn where to sleep.

Roosters are another factor. If you have multiple roosters, typically the dominant rooster won't let the other roosters into the coop. And the other roosters try to get some of the hens to stay out with them. you could add a second coop, but otherwise this is a difficult issue to resolve.

I hope this helps. If I missed something, please let me know. And if you have any questions about the doors, I'm happy to help answer them.

Thanks
Tony

I really want one too... It is just a bit expensive.....
I suppose replacing my flock would be expensive and heart breaking too......

OK, I will give and order one.
I have an existing opening through an old window, so I will need to figure how to fit it.
Not sure on the size of the window.

Thanks for putting this front and centre.
I was going to search for the website this week as I had seen this a while back.

SarniaTricia

Last edited:
SKG1121,

It depends on how well built the run is. If something can dig under the fence, claw through it, climb over it... I've been amazed at what raccoons do.

Sometimes I put myself in a raccoons position: I look at the run through their eyes. They look for the weakest point. They can walk around / climb over the run for an hour looking for the weak point. It could be a board that is coming loose, a stretched bottom fence they can squeeze under, a seam in the fence they can stretch open.

One customer ordered a door after a weasel got into his coop and killed 60 hens in one night! They live further north (I'm in Texas), and can squeeze though any rat hole. So it also depends on what predators are in your area.

Chickenlady,

You can read all about them at www.chickendoors.com . The door is $180. There are some options you can add to it, they're all on the website where you can order everything. We also take phone orders, you can call us at 512 995-0058 and we'll be happy to answer any questions as well. One nice feature is that the door comes fully assembled so you don't need to be a carpenter to put it on your coop. We normally ship within 48 hours via FedEx ground for fast delivery.
Thanks for asking!
Tony

I would love to have one, IF I only had one coop. I have three, and two wouldn't even work with that door. So I would have to hurry home anyway. Wish I could though, but even if I some how figured out how to make it work for all three coops they would cost a lot of $$$$. I'm pretty good at remembering to shut up the chickens - haven't forgotten to do it yet! I have to have three different coops, because some hens get picked on way to much - as in other hens biting them in the face, not very pretty.

Wait what if all of the chickens dont go inside the chicken coop and the door closes, leaving the chicken outside making them vulnerable to predators?????

Last edited:
"Maybe the chickens go in, but some get locked out...maybe they all get locked out. Maybe all the chickens go in long before the door shuts, giving a predator time to come in and kill them, then run off. Maybe it will lock a predator in with them......" - A paranoid chicken owners thoughts

The door in itself seems very predator proof, and reliably safe (an amazing product really), but the reason I wouldn't get it is because of the chickens. They have a mind of their own and cannot be programmed to come in and out of the coop at certain times. Now...if they sold some magnet that programmed the chickens, I would get that in a heartbeat.....but we can only do so much.......

Last edited:
If I had the coops that would allow this, I would totally get them. I don't get home until WELL after dark on most days and have to rely on what help I can get shutting up the girls. Now, it doesn't matter if someone gets locked out to me ONLY because I do nightly head counts and will never stop. Also, I have guard dogs that patrol the areas around my coops and are constantly alert. Barking every few minutes after I get home ( we have a LOT of potential predators ). Everytime they do, until I go to bed, I meet them in their location with a .22...

If I had the set up, I would get these doors. It would save me a lot of time and effort. I may later on down the road hook one up to my future coops ( constantly building ).

I know a lot of people that would LOVE one of these as well.

I once had one of my chickens die before we had a safe coop. It's been a few years and I have never once forgotten to put them up! I think that's another thing that helps you remember to put up your chickens :( But this is a better way to go, even if it is not needed for me :)

Oh and my chickens go to bed different times of day. One of my chickens goes in around 7, way before dusk, and a few go in around dusk, one goes in early evening, and the other is a little night owl! Wouldn't the chickens get locked out? And what is the door made of? Is it plastic? I doesn't look very sturdy. I think simply putting them up by hand is a better way to go- the electronics could break, and you wouldn't bother to check. I think it might kinda train you to just not bother to check.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom