Don't know if this is an emergency but didn't know where to post the question

Thanks. We've gotten the administering of the medication down pat. (Team effort) I only put down 4 or 5 flakes of the dry Oatmeal but will stop that. I'll give the wet mash a try and will try another scrambled egg.............though she didn't touch it the last time I gave it to her. I think she's just lonely and depressed at this point. Think I'll get another hen and put in with her. Think she'll be much happier. She's been separated for5 or 6 days now.

Thanks. We've gotten the administering of the medication down pat. (Team effort) I only put down 4 or 5 flakes of the dry Oatmeal but will stop that. I'll give the wet mash a try and will try another scrambled egg.............though she didn't touch it the last time I gave it to her. I think she's just lonely and depressed at this point. Think I'll get another hen and put in with her. Think she'll be much happier. She's been separated for5 or 6 days now.
Loneliness could definitely be a part. Poor girl.

This has all been pretty frustrating.

Our sick girl has "sort of" returned to her normal self. Have partitioned off a portion of the run to keep her separate from the others and try to reintroduce her to the flock. One of our Black Astrolorp hens is bound and determined to get to her and do bodily damage! I think they'll need a larger area to make their introductions. Finished the larger pen that encircles the coup and run yesterday. Going to start clipping flight feathers (one side) and letting them out in the larger area........saving the "used-to-be-sick" one for last. I'm hoping that will give her more room to run and get away from the Astrolorp.

Our weather here has been hot like everyone else's. Was 101 yesterday and supposed to be 104 today. So I hate stressing any of them, especially the one that was sick. So I'm going to leave the separate facilities intact at least until the temps come down a little bit.

What an inconvenience this has been. Little wife is not taking all of it well at all and is just about "done" with chickens. Of course I've cared for animals most of my life and know it's just part of the process. Due to the Vet bills we will never be at a point to be able to say we've saved money by having our own hen's eggs, but I enjoy the chickens myself. Gotta luv'em..............that's what God wants us to do. :thumbsup

Well just an update on "Miss Digger".

She spent the past 6 days behind the partition. I thought I made a pretty impenetrable temporary pen for her, but late yesterday afternoon when I went out to check everyone's water and feed, I found here playing joyfully with the rest of the girls. Still can't figure out how she got out, but she reintegrated herself without any missing feathers to show for it so the "reunion" must have gone well. :thumbsup

I've been so busy with all the Doctor's appointments and the radiology department that I've had little time to spend with my chickens. Had an MRI this morning that is supposed to explain what is going on inside my knee. Knee surgery may be in my future. Tied up at the hospital tomorrow, but Wednesday we are going to finally clip wings and turn them out into their larger pen that surrounds the coup and run. I can't wait to give them that freedom...........and Miss Digger is pacing up and down the run like she can't wait either. :wee

Sold my 7 gallon poultry waterer and ordered a 3 gallon today. I think that will work out great for 7 hens. That'll be for the electrolyte water. I'll use the present 1 gallon waterer for the pro-biotic water. Will see how that works.

The journey continues.......................................:celebrate

Well, let the rodeo commence!!!!! :celebrate

Last night we decided it's time we need to teach our hens to go into the coup at dusk and get up on their roosts. They've been sleeping UNDER the coup or all huddled in a bunch in the run. It was terrifying to all of them until I got them in my arms and calmed them. Was really pleased, they all went to the roosting bars the first night, so maybe they aren't completely stupid! :p Tonight was the second rodeo and it wasn't too much better. I'm hoping that after 4 or 5 nights they'd rather go up the ramp on their own than being grabbed. Chickens startle so easily and I hate hearing them scream.........when I'm the one to have cause it. So tonight was the second rodeo. We'll hope for daily improvements.

The journey continues.................................

Mine don't like scrambled eggs, but they will gobble down poached eggs.

have other comments as I’ve enjoyed your “story” but wanted to at least chime in as well and say that on quite a few occasions- ESP when sick or not feeling good- my chickens MUCH prefer chopped up hard boiled eggs vs even my best attempts at scrambled eggs that looked great to Me!🤣 lol

But seriously- they seem overall to never turn down bits of chopped HB eggs! and to be VERY honest in desperation a few times near the end (when they wouldn’t even take drops of water)….
… I used a raw egg- new & still waiting to go in w/ me- to tempt a Very sick chicken and more than once, they’d perk up and gulp all of it down- sip by sip- after quickly whisked in a bowl to TRY to disguise where it came from 🤣- till it was GONE … and even then they drank the water I squished the bowl with too after the egg was gone!! Made them feel better for a bit and hydrated them… Had a few more good days after those!

Not condoning it really- yes raw eggs=bad! 😉 but much scarier to me would be if they survived and told their friends they have a SUPER tasty treat on hand there daily!! Yeah- nasty hard habit to break if they ever start!!😳🥴. Thank God, so far so good…
Guess poached is pretty similar but softer I think?! I don’t eat any but omelets or scrambled 😉… ooh or quiche!!

I’m down to pretty much 1 laying chicken so not as eager to use 8 eggs in one dish!!🤣😔

Back
Top Bottom