Drake's Bill peeling and turning green...

4duckitos

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
HI!! My favorite drake Frank has a weird green discoloration on the tip of his bill, and it has recently started to peel off....
sad.png

Could it be caused by diggin into moldy straw? It's the only thing I can come up with.....he is mostly outside and gets to run around n the garden and in the mud.I hope it's nothing serious!
Any ideas?
idunno.gif

Thank you!!!

A peeling bill further back around the nostrils is fairly normal in many cases- it is getting rid of old built up cells. It can look really nasty- especially if the edges are raised up at all. The discoloration can sometimes be natural as well- many of my drakes go through a bill colour change when they are molting. But if its the actual tip that is peeling it may be something else. Is there any chance you can post a photo of it?

my drakes was peeling just around the nostrils and turned green too, really scared me at first,thought it was mold/infection there was a flap of skin for ages,but its gone now and just left a greeny stain
smile.png

I will post a photo as soon as I figure out how to do it.....
hu.gif

Thank you for now!!

Pk here we go I think I got it!!!

102815_frankbill.jpg

Now look at the tip of his bill, there is a greenish spot and you can barely see where is is peeling off a thin layer of yellow skin on top.....

I'd guess he's worn the bill on something. I also see greenish tinges come and go on my girl Runners' bills - sometimes they have a blue caste on their black bills, sometimes it's green. It seems to be somewhat seasonal.

Is the bill firm, not squishy?

Yes the bill feels just fine! I have been putting collodial silver on it to discourage fungal growth....

A peeling bill further back around the nostrils is fairly normal in many cases- it is getting rid of old built up cells. It can look really nasty- especially if the edges are raised up at all. The discoloration can sometimes be natural as well- many of my drakes go through a bill colour change when they are molting. But if its the actual tip that is peeling it may be something else. Is there any chance you can post a photo of it?
Thank you for this comment! The peeling of my ducks bill and he was the only one so far we noticed and this just put me at ease so much! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom