Drakes Going Hormonal?

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
So, my babies were all hatched together back in Feb/March, 4 drakes and 5 ladies.
(Dad is an Australian Spotted, mum is a snowy call, dad and mum have a separate enclosure). The youngest lady is still in a little cage adjacent to the others' enclosure since she is 2 weeks younger and they haven't all accepted her yet. Today I got home from work and out of the blue I saw Remy, the least cuddly drake, getting poked at by two of the other boys. He was DRENCHED and looked like a bedraggled wet molting chicken! 😮 I brought him inside and he let me dry him off and fluff him up with the hair dryer on low, and he looks better. Haven't found any blood, pulled feathers, or broken feathers, but the back of his neck is very red and missing some down floof.
So, other than cleaning his skin and adding a little neosporin without pain relief, should I add any topical meds like Veterycin?
And do I need to start separating these babies? They have never done anything like this before, I'm highly confused. @Miss Lydia the shenanigans never end!

Last edited:
Oddly enough the ladies are okay. I hate the idea of getting rid of any of them, because they all hang together. They wouldn't have a ton of room if I divide up the enclosure, but I could do that, I suppose. Or let some out in the morning and rotate others out in the afternoon.

Oddly enough the ladies are okay. I hate the idea of getting rid of any of them, because they all hang together. They wouldn't have a ton of room if I divide up the enclosure, but I could do that, I suppose. Or let some out in the morning and rotate others out in the afternoon.
That sounds like a good idea, it's getting close and hormones are only going to go through the roof so best to separate now to protect the ladies when these boys really start getting hormonal.

Back
Top Bottom