Drop box hen house design

randombrad

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2014
id like some feedback with these designs. At the end of the trough would be an egg basket, also curved tubes would be below holes to soften impact

Ya I would have to test the best angles, and maybe spring loaded levers to lower eggs slowly

Why have the holes? Consider having the roll out "roll into" the trough at the end. If you want the eggs to gather at one end, then stagger the nest boxes with the incline/decline in the trough. Without the eggs falling there would be no need to devise any cushioning system, other than astroturf to slow them down.

Last edited:
It's easier to adjust the angle of the trough instead of adjusting the positions of the boxes

Ya I have seen that before, I hope to test some ways of slowing down the eggs with mechanisms that I didn't render in the drawings, such as spring loaded levers that lower the egg down the whole

Bottom of nest is not angled to the hole? Need a section side view.

Egg is not likely to hit that hole, use a nest wide slot instead, then single angled plane for bottom of nest will always direct egg into trough.

With that many nests, would service about 50 hens, your going to need a larger receptacle for eggs to gather at the end of the trough without piling/backing up and causing breakage.

A curved tube could actually accelerate egg velocity.

I'd avoid any mechanisms.
I wonder how the big egg producers do it?
Is this a engineering school project?

I could staple the astro turf high in the corners of the box so that it would guide the egg to the hole.

To prevent the eggs from breaking I was thinking of a wheel with stiff rubber seperators located above the trough at the end before the basket.

Back
Top Bottom