Drywall Chickens

Jan 12, 2021
Hi, Thank you for adding me to the group. I have a problem. A couple of my girls ate drywall. Can we still eat the eggs? There are brown eggs in the nesting boxes but a few of them are a creamy color. Don't laugh. I don't know if this is because those eggs belong to the drywall eaters or not. AND, I forgot they ate the drywall and made cookies. No one is allowed to eat them until I know for sure the eggs were okay. They looked fine...but how do I know? My chickens are Rhode Island Reds.

Hi, Thank you for adding me to the group. I have a problem. A couple of my girls ate drywall. Can we still eat the eggs? There are brown eggs in the nesting boxes but a few of them are a creamy color. Don't laugh. I don't know if this is because those eggs belong to the drywall eaters or not. AND, I forgot they ate the drywall and made cookies. No one is allowed to eat them until I know for sure the eggs were okay. They looked fine...but how do I know? My chickens are Rhode Island Reds.

@Kiki , @Weeg , @Eggcessive , any thoughts?

Lol I wouldn't worry, I don't think that a bit of drywall would make anybody sick.

Silly chickens! You'll be fine. My dog ate a huge hole in my wall. She was fine. Drywall is mostly minerals. Chickens eat rocks all the time. They just have a different type of grit floating around in their guts now. If drywall were super dangerous, we couldn't use it in our walls. At least, I'd hope not..

And the color of the egg is unrelated, I'm pretty sure.

(edited because I can't type)

Last edited:
Should be fine to eat eggs, though for the chickens (and the drywall's ) sake you'll need to figure out how to keep them separate.

Silly chickens! You'll be fine. My dog ate a huge hole in my wall. She was fine.

Ughhh you too? I randomly heard this munching sound one night and one of my dogs was gnawing away at the staircase wall. So annoying!

Back
Top Bottom