d'Uccle Cult

So cute! 😍 Haven’t seen you in awhile! Nice to see all is well with your babies! Despite the snow :)
I can’t believe how busy life has gotten! The human girls have gymnastics 4:5 weeknights and I’m sewing up a storm to afford it. We’ve had a fairly mild winter and this is one of few snowfalls we’ve had all season, Miss Bitty was so clever to find a way to stay out of it lol. It feels like we’re finally past the fowl pox and respiratory issues it brought 🤞🏼 About a week until the first hatch of the year, finally finished adding permanent roosts to the main coop, and week after week of ankle deep mud.

So I set some duck eggs a couple weeks ago, and then found a golden neck egg that same day. They had stopped laying, seems like it’s been months, though probably just a few weeks. Since call duck eggs take 5 days longer than chicken eggs to incubate, I decided to add any golden neck eggs they laid in those days. I got 4 eggs, and added them to the duck eggs in the proper day.

Sadly, none of the 4 are developing! What the heck!
I had decided to set some because I’m down to one golden neck rooster and I prefer to have a backup boy. I’m collecting again, maybe just after the break in laying, they will get better.

I can’t believe how busy life has gotten! The human girls have gymnastics 4:5 weeknights and I’m sewing up a storm to afford it. We’ve had a fairly mild winter and this is one of few snowfalls we’ve had all season, Miss Bitty was so clever to find a way to stay out of it lol. It feels like we’re finally past the fowl pox and respiratory issues it brought 🤞🏼 About a week until the first hatch of the year, finally finished adding permanent roosts to the main coop, and week after week of ankle deep mud.
Yeah I feel ya! There’s not enough time in the day for all the things! Gymnastics sounds exhausting though! Hopefully you don’t have to drive far.

While we don’t have snow here, we are still ankle deep in disgusting mud and I’m soooo over it. My d’Uccles are in the one run I was able to put up a full blown cover for so they get half a run that’s dry. It’s helped keep them from looking too haggard. :) Can’t let the fancy pants girls get dirty!

Good luck with the first hatch! We are on hatch number 4 here…I love fluffy cheeked baby chicks season! 😍😍

So I set some duck eggs a couple weeks ago, and then found a golden neck egg that same day. They had stopped laying, seems like it’s been months, though probably just a few weeks. Since call duck eggs take 5 days longer than chicken eggs to incubate, I decided to add any golden neck eggs they laid in those days. I got 4 eggs, and added them to the duck eggs in the proper day.

Sadly, none of the 4 are developing! What the heck!
I had decided to set some because I’m down to one golden neck rooster and I prefer to have a backup boy. I’m collecting again, maybe just after the break in laying, they will get better.
My WTB cross eggs were hit and miss with fertility too! I’ve always had 100% fertility and was very disappointed. We had a huge flock change up and our head roo is now a bantam. We have some lovely cockerels that aren’t being accepted by the mature hens still. Our younger pullets in the same age group have had 100% fertility though

Hello, all :frow I was wondering what your experience has been with d'Uccle roosters as far as their temperament?

I currently have a Mille Fleur rooster who is extremely nasty towards humans. He will attack the feet and legs of whoever comes in the run. I have tried working with him, but it seems that he is determined to be a little demon! 😆

Is this common in d'Uccle roosters? I know that the bantam breed roosters can tend to have a little more attitude than the standards. I got him last April and raised him from a chick. Right now, it's not a big deal, more annoying than anything. We have no small children and all the chickens live in an enclosed run. I was just wondering if this is how the majority of d'Uccle roosters are, or if I just happened to get a feisty one? Thanks!

ETA: photo of the little man in question

Attachments

• IMG_20230803_154700.jpg
    IMG_20230803_154700.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 2
Hello, all :frow I was wondering what your experience has been with d'Uccle roosters as far as their temperament?

I currently have a Mille Fleur rooster who is extremely nasty towards humans. He will attack the feet and legs of whoever comes in the run. I have tried working with him, but it seems that he is determined to be a little demon! 😆

Is this common in d'Uccle roosters? I know that the bantam breed roosters can tend to have a little more attitude than the standards. I got him last April and raised him from a chick. Right now, it's not a big deal, more annoying than anything. We have no small children and all the chickens live in an enclosed run. I was just wondering if this is how the majority of d'Uccle roosters are, or if I just happened to get a feisty one? Thanks!

My porcelain D’Uccle is the sweetest little guy. He’s 2 years old and has never had a mean bone in his body. I haven’t had time to handle him for a while, but he’s just a little timid now

All 7 of my D’Uccles roosters have had a tude towards me. I have found if you flip them over on their back when they go to flog u it helps show your more dominant than them.

Back
Top Bottom