Duck attacked by fox, looking for first aid advice!

abinater2247

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2021
TRIGGER WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES

We have a Buff Orpington Duck, approximately 7months old, not sure what weight exactly.
He's been attacked by a fox, leaving a large open wound on his front, we could see muscle and an internal organ.
Last night, we put some gauze on it and wrapped it in vet wrap. (it was very late in the night and we did our best with the limited research we had)

Today we took the gauze off and found it to be very stinky (which we think is a sign of infection or rotting flesh) and greenish coloured. We rinsed it with saline solution, and dabbed it with a little bit of gauze to try to clean it up, and then rewrapped it.

I have attached a picture of what it looks like and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this kind of injury and could give us some suggestions for treatment. Wondering if anyone knows about what kind of infection this could be and what the likelihood of him not recovering is.
tempImagecewIHE.jpg
tempImageS2LU5F.jpg

Poor thing. I would think an antibiotic would be essential to help stave off infection.
Is he eating and drinking?
He is drinking, but I'm not sure how much he is eating. We decided it would be better for him to be in the coop with his siblings rather than alone in the house because we didn't want him to be in too much distress, so it's been difficult to monitor, will keep a closer eye on that.

Do you know of any specific antibiotics, or would that be up to a vet?

Thanks so much for the reply!!

Clean with warm saline water then peroxide. Dress the wound with neosporin or triple antibiotic salve. Maybe crush a baby aspirin and mix it in water for him. I'd take him to a vet if possible.
When you mention peroxide, is that hydrogen peroxide, the same that is used on humans?

Thank you for your helpful info!

He is drinking, but I'm not sure how much he is eating. We decided it would be better for him to be in the coop with his siblings rather than alone in the house because we didn't want him to be in too much distress, so it's been difficult to monitor, will keep a closer eye on that.

Do you know of any specific antibiotics, or would that be up to a vet?

Thanks so much for the reply!!
I don't know much about antibiotics. Let me tag a few people.

@Wyorp Rock
@casportpony
@Quatie
@HollowOfWisps

When you mention peroxide, is that hydrogen peroxide, the same that is used on humans?

Thank you for your helpful info!
Yes, for cleaning wounds on our ducks and chickens we use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect after cleaning with warm salt water. I'd recommend getting it to a vet if you can. So they could give an oral antibiotic.

Let's tag in @shawluvsbirds @Miss Lydia @Isaac 0 and @casportpony

How old is this wound?
If he drinks water or eats, does any of it leak into or out of the wound or under the skin? You mention you are seeing internal organs - it is the crop you are seeing?
Hard to tell the location of the wound - can you get photos of him standing without the wrapping and point it out - yep, I'm in geezer mode and need it spelled out:D

Personally, I would clean the wound with Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine since there's an odor. Initial flushing one time with Peroxide and water is ok, but an odor indicates infection. Repeated use of Peroxide can damage tissue.
Once you clean the wound well, then apply your triple antibiotic ointment.
I'm not a fan of wrapping wounds unless absolutely necessary, they seem to fester when wrapped. Only time I would wrap is if he's picking at it or it's in an area where he would be laying on it. This may mean caging him with the siblings so they can't pick at his wounds or you keep him in for a few days while you get the infection under control.

I do agree, I would give an antibiotic. Amoxicillin is my preference for wounds, but if you have something on hand, then let us know what it is.

Drinking is good, but he needs to eat as well. Hopefully the duck folks can give better suggestions.

The only thing I can add is I would isolate this bird while it's healing. Keep it warm and dry. If it's lonely, maybe put it in a kennel by itself where it can still see and be with the other birds but stay separated.
Ducks are really bad about picking on another one with a weakness or injury. And you don't want that getting broken back open while trying to heal.
Also if you are anywhere where it's warm enough for flies you don't want to fly strike so inside might be better until it's healed over.
Baytril is a good all-around antibiotic for birds but I don't know the doseages. You can buy it online. Maybe do a search for Baytril dosages on here you might be able to come up with something.

Back
Top Bottom